I took Tal to the vet afterall

Thread: I took Tal to the vet afterall

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI took Tal to the vet afterall

Well, I decided to go ahead and get him checked out. What did it was this morning we played fetch and went for a pretty good walk. Of course he was panting a little and when we came inside he wouldn't drink any water!! Then when I got in the shower he sniffed my shoes then just went and lay down on the couch. If he would have stolen my shoe and then lay down I would have thought nothing of it. Never thought I would want him to steal my shoe.. :-\

I thought I am gonna get him checked out anyway...So we get there and of course he is his usual hyper self. But he has never shown any signs of lethargy during all this. They gave him a small bowl of Science diet puppy food and he practically inhaled it...I said well thanks for makin a liar outta me! lol. Then we get home and he drinks half the bowl of water and eats half a bowl of kibble...sigh...

Everything checked out except she said his stool should not be lacking in firmness. So she gave him something for that. No intestinal bugs or anything.

If nothing else it put my mind at ease. I swear he is gonna be the death of me yet...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I took Tal to the vet afterall

Very glad to hear Tal is okedokey!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am glad Tal is okay. I think most of us have done that too. Better to be safe then sorry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I figured since Monday is Christmas and the offices are closed I would rather be safe than sorry. Funny part of it was she asked if I washed his bowl...and I said yup every day. She said they have to ask that but she had no doubt! I thought that was kinda funny...I think all the excitement wore him out. I think I will go catch me a workout then take him to the park.

well, going from Iams, to Science Diet, and whatever food you have will make his stool not firm. he's had 3 diff. foods in the last 2 days. It sounds like he's doing really really good. I am SOOOOO Glad he's good. At least, this will prevent an afterhours weekend xmas vet visit LOL
    Tal is a doll and i am so happy hes feeling better!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad everything checked out and Tal is ok. I'm the same way...my mind isn't at ease until I have things checked out. I'm so familiar with Prudence that I usually know when a trip to the vet is in order. I guess since Brigetta is the first puppy I've had, I panic over everything!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

When I fed him the Innova it wasn't a whole serving full. And neither was the Science Diet. In fact until today he had not had Science Diet and the vet gave him a sample to see if he would eat it. I tried mixing the Innova with his regular IAMS kibble.

I think part of the problem has been I have gotten way off both our normal schedule this week. When we were out for Thanksgiving and even last October for fall break I stayed fairly close to his normal schedule. I haven't been anywhere close to nromal. I guess this is a wake up call...well you live and learn.

Did you decide which food you are going to try? I am interested to see which he (TAL) goes to from Iams. We want to switch Tuck soon.. but I don't know which to try. I know she loves her Iams, but I am not too thrilled with the quality.
    I'm just so happy that Tal is feeling better! WHOOHOOO

I am seriously considering the Innova. My vet said she has seen several of her patients develop diarrhea when they fed the Innova. Tal seems to like it. I think until I get him back on track I am going to stick with the IAMS. Hopefully ny Monday he will be eating normally again!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

You know what, your stories are reminding me so much of this same period during Angus' life. You weren't around for his puppyhood, but let's just say it like it was: He was the devil incarnate. But sometimes, right around this same time, he would have days where he would just seem "off." Like you said, not stealing a shoe, something like that would not seem in line with his usual devilish ways. Off to the vet he would go, where he would make a liar out of me as well.

Now that I think back on it, and reading your posts, I'm really starting to think it was all teething. He just felt crummy.

I went through another period of monthly vet visits when he was right around one year and started to calm down and lose the puppy crazies...just to prepare you for what's ahead.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever