A Tribute to an Old Friend

Thread: A Tribute to an Old Friend

DefaultA Tribute to an Old Friend

My wife is making the kids calanders with pictures of them through out their lives for Christmas, I went upstairs to my picture albums and box to find ones of my kids, got her some taken at Christmas in 1990 a four and 8 year old with a 2 1/2 month old Black Lab puppy. Went through all the pictures of Midnite (Oct 17 1990-June 25 2002) I found some of a wonderful day in 1995 when my oldest daughter wanted to go watch him work in the field. I armed her with my pocket 35mm camera and two rolls of 36 100 speed film and told her to have at it. She was 13 at the time.

Midnite was a pheasant and quail dog and he loved hunting quail, he even learned to sorta point them although that bad stance and the wagging tail would have not got him anywhere with the Pointing Lab Field Trial folks. Here he is holding me a covey.

I hunt a lot of heavy grass (CRP) and much of it is 3-5 feet high and can cover a 1/2 section so he was taught like Rowdy will be to go as soon as he saw a bird fall, I hunt mostly alone and the few I hunt with know that when a bird starts to fall it belongs to the dog and is not to be shot again, he will get it. This second picture is him going for one that has fallen, another is in the picture to the side and the one I'm trying for is high, blurred but has an arrow pointed at it.

Another of him just working out front.

This is the farm my Dad grew up on, was planted to trees, in 1982 for wildlife habitat.

The last picture don't have the dog in view but is interesting for what is shows, a bit fuzzy from movement and enlarging and cropping but you hunters might like it so I added it. I hunt with a 28 gauge 870 Skeet gun and I use a two piece wad, one arrow shows the over powder wad and the other shows the shot protector wad, the quail I just got is tumbling and I'm swinging on another that is out of view.

He only lost one bird in his life , trailed it several times, followed the exact same path each time, but it got into a roost and he lost it in all the other scent. He looked for that bird everytime we passed the same place for several more years.

I know he's waiting at the bridge with that rooster for me. Midnite 'Ol friend, the pup looks like he's gonna be a good one also, wish you were here to help me with him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A Tribute to an Old Friend

Awwwww.. what a great story and photos. Sometimes I think it's the best feeling seeing dogs happy and doing what they were born to do. I get such a kick out of Ender when he's in his element.
    ~Lindsay

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

What a great hunter Midnight was. Yep, he's holding it at the bridge..
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

awesome

georgie is offline Senior Member

Wonderful pictures of your old friend. Very nice story.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

What wonderful pictures and story. God Bless ya, Midnite.

He is resting in a wild flower/wild grass patch in front of our trailer house about 200 yards from where those pictures were taken. He could have drove the 50 miles to there, he knew the way well.