Those of you who have potty trained or been in obedience training with your labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those of you who have potty trained or been in obedience training with your labs

DefaultThose of you who have potty trained or been in obedience training with your labs

Tuck has been "potty trainING" for the last.. forever since we've had her. Most of the time she goes right to the back door, scratches, we take her out. she does her thing, she comes in for a treat. The last 2 weeks, she goes out, SHE MUST FAKE PEE, comes in and then pees on the carpet. EVERYTIME. She hasn't had a poo accident, but everytime she's peed. [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Those of you who have potty trained or been in obedience training with your labs

UTI comes to mind

How old is she? Sometimes they have a "relapse" just need to jump back to frequent breaks/crating like you just started training her.

DefaultRe: Those of you who have potty trained or been in obedience training with your

We had her blood work and urine test last week and no UTI. Everything was normal. She was 12 weeks on the 13th. so she's 14 weeks. I know it's still young, but I'm upset that I take her out every 30 min to potty, and she will come right back in and PEE on the carpet
    I don't want to have to crate her, but I guess that's what i'll have to do. She starts obed. training next thursday. UG!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Those of you who have potty trained or been in obedience training with your labs

First suggestions is to go out with her and see if she is peeing or not - look for the pee! Don't make it a game or play with her - just give your "potty command" like "go potty" or "go pee pee" and wait for her to squat. Also check for UTI ( good luck catching the urine in a jar lid as she squats)

It is frustrating and she is young. She'll get it. I also use the "go pee" command it has always seemed to help. Gunny..is..well..not the brightest bulb and even he gets "go pee". Reward her like there is NO TOMORROW when she pees outside. I bell trained also...corse Autumn rings the bell like she's calling a servant lol..but Gunny only uses it when he needs to go out.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

You DO need to thoroughly clean any pee spot with something like "Nature's Miracle" to remove any remaining odor that suggests "Pee near here!" Otherwise, it forms a commanding signal.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    You DO need to thoroughly clean any pee spot with something like "Nature's Miracle" to remove any remaining odor that suggests "Pee near here!" Otherwise, it forms a commanding signal.
    I was going to say this also. Do not use anything w/ammonia for cleaning.

If she does a fake pee, and pees immediately upon returning inside, I would stay outside longer until she does pee.

I used the "pee" command. When she peed, she got really good treats and praises like she did the best thing in the whole world.

Hope it's not medical related....and hope you get her back on track.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

DefaultRe: Those of you who have potty trained or been in obedience training with your

I took her to the vet just to be sure. He tested again for a UTI or any kind of urinary problem, such as her plumbing and everything is okay!
    I did clean the carpet spots several times with a carpet cleaner, and we're trying the crate process again.
    I know she'll do it, we just need to give her more time, before we "assume" she's good. She is being kept up at night now, again.... and will until she's peeing regularly again. Thank you for your thoughts. We know now it's NOT medical and hopefully just needing to be outside longer. We do have a run outside, that she plays outside on the sunny days, I think maybe she's used to Playing and that's what happens more often than her going "potty"!

Cleaning the area with carpet cleaner isn't going to be enough. You need a product such as Natures Miracle to nutralize the urine smell. Some people make their own, but I'm not sure all of the ingredients involved. The other thing I would suggest is take her out for a good ten minute walk.
    Olie

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

You could also take her out on a leash. We did this when Zoe was a puppy. That way, she knew it was not play time.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast