A very odd thing happened last night........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very odd thing happened last night........

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Default A very odd thing happened last night........

Sam did something very odd last night. For whatever reason he acted scared to come out of my room and go down a little stretch of hall by the other bedroom doors. It was weird. I've never seen him act scared before (except once when SU was holding a shotgun) and certainly not of something I couldn't figure out. I had to totally coax him to come and then he sort of dashed past the doors. It happened several times. He didn't want to go past them to get into my room and once he was there he didn't want to go past to come out. I finally shut them and just ignored it. I walked past as I needed. He stayed on his bed in the den most of the evening and when it was time for bed I put a towel down on the floor there in the hall thinking maybe it was something about the floor itself that was bothering him and went to bed. Didn't try to lure him in there with me. About 12 I woke up and he was in there on his bed in the corner just like normal.. He was still a little skittish this morning but nothing like last night. I have no clue what was going on. I didn't see any signs of his having a seizure like the drooling or the trembling and he didn't act sick. Ate normally, lay by me for a little while on a pallet on the floor. And I couldn't see anything out of place in the rooms. I tried turning on the lights, made no difference.

Anyone have any ideas or have had anything like this happen? I at least knew not to make a big deal out of it with lots of fussing. I tried to just be matter of fact, but it was hard to see him be so obviously afraid of whatever it was. Too weird.....

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A very odd thing happened last night........

I am convinced that a Lab has an extra brain lobe that is dedicated to producing irrational behavior from time to time just to confuse us humans. From your description I would guess that something either scarred or startled him while he was in or walking past one of those rooms.
    A couple of years ago a very large limb broke off a neighbors tree and fell but got hung up so it was suspended a bit off the ground. I let Duke out for his morning run, it was still dark, and that tree limb scarred him so bad he almost broke down the door backing up while barking. It took a couple of days before I could get him to go out that back door again. ;D
    <br />Duke and Freckles

BrooknHannah is offline Senior Member

Maybe there was an ant, or a spider on the floor. Tuck is scared of ants. LOL.
    Really- i have no clue, but i am glad eveything was back to normal today, and I'm sure it was just a weird night for him.
    <br /><br /> <br /><br /> Brook and Tuck and the kids and hubby!<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; Love, The Rhineharts

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Who knows...yesterday I was washing dishes and all the sudden I hear this whimper from the living room after a little pop...turned out Tal had knocked over the bottle of Nature's Miracle I had left on the coffee table when he tried to get up in the chair. He had this scared look on his face. I just picked up the bottle and left the room. You'd have thought someone broke in and shot a gun off the way he looked.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Haylee has also reacted to things I would normally think would not be scarey!! She is afraid of those cardboard tubes that wrapping paper is on? I was visiting my friend the other day and her son came walking in the room with one of them and she flew onto my lap -- scared the tar out of me, too!! Sometimes, they are so funny and interpret situations in a way we can't even imagine!!

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Well .... you're not going to appreciate this response but here goes.

I believe that dawgs in general have a sixth sense that we can't beging to comprehend. I 'm referring specifically to "spirit awareness".

I'd venture a guess that you are not the first occupants of the home you are in right now. I'd go a step further and speculate the one of the previous owners (or a memeber of their family) dies or nearly died in that home. I think that their spirit may not yet be settled and Sam SAW it last night or at minimum sensed IT'S presence.

Keep in mind that "ghosts, spirits, haints" or (whatever other name may be used for deceased persons who have never quite left this earth) are not usually dangerous, threatening or harmful as often portrayed in the movies. Many are merely troubled spirits who's mission on earth was not deemed complete and they will wander about for varying lengths if time until they find or satisfy the need that keeps them restless here.

By they way, the foregoing is from a lifelong catholic who believes in God, Jesus and does not ordinarily express his views on this subject ... but there they are.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff has had occasional "strange" reactions to things I didn't comprehend.

But sometimes at first that which seems irrational later becomes understandable.

Puff's vision (for many things), her hearing, and sense of smell (especially those two latter senses) are FAR, FAR better than mine.

So whenever she has a reaction that seems strange to me, I'm inclined to think she may be channeling some information I'm not getting.

We walk for an hour early every morning in a nature preserve with many trails.

One day, we were about 150 feet away from the junction with another trail -- its presence was obscured by a lot of bushes and trees. Puff stopped and started barking. I left her there and walked up to look down the other trail and saw a man's body lying face down with a piece of cardboard over his head. I called the police on my cell phone and was finally able to persuade Puff to go past the junction so we could meet the police at a nearby road and show them. (It turned out the "body" was alive.)

Several other times Puff's shown similar reactions.

At home, for instance, when a mouse has come in, she's acted spooked and I know it's time to set traps again.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Very odd. What about today? Any reluctance to pass by those doors now? Is it possible that he saw the shadows of tree limbs dancing around on the bedroom walls? Something like that?

Seamus and Flynn

lablimo is offline Senior Member

On what Cappy's dad said -- I tend to believe that as well. I think dogs can sense, hear and see things we cannot.

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Okay, I've got all over chills now after reading Jim's response. But I will say that that thought occurred to me. However, I've lived in the house for close to 12 years, and my brother there before me for another ten and I've known whoever lived in it before that and to the best of my knowledge there has not been a death or anything weird happen there.
    He's been pretty much okay with the hall today. Still a LITTLE hesitant but overall not. I still have the doors closed tho.
    And I certainly agree with the WAY more acute senses comment. I just wish I knew what it was. I suppose there could have been some odd shadows, but not when I turned the light on. Well, we'll see what happens this evening.

Frances

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast