The saga continues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The saga continues

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe saga continues

Well, Tal stopped eating the IAMS even moistened. He really likes the Innova. I think I will go ahead and switch him to it. Ironically the only reason I stayed with the IAMS in the first place is because the breeder was feeding him IAMS and he was doing ok on it. When I mix the Innova with the IAMS he always leaves the IAMS. So for whatever reason he has developed a dislike for the IAMS.

One good things is that the Innova is alot better quality food.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The saga continues

Innova is much better than Iams. Make sure you are feeding the puppy formula -- the adult Innova's are not suitable for growing pups because of the high protein level.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you found something Tal likes and like you said, it is a better quality food so that works out! My sister's dog has suddenly stopped liking a food before too. Trickster makes a good point about the protein levels, I know the Innova Evo would be much too high for a puppy. My trainer actually went over protein percentages in one of our classes. I am learning that there can be a lot of trial and error in finding the right food for your dog. With Brigetta and Prudence between allergies, ear infections, soft stools, etc. we've tried the prescription SD z/d, Eukanuba LB puppy, Pro Plan SS, Pro Plan Chicken, Canidae and California Natural.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Joe Maringo is offline Senior Member

I always say, "listen to what your dog is telling you". I think you are making the right choice.
    Southwest Pennsylvania Retriever Rescue Organization or S.P.A.R.R.O. and Shades Of Grey Senior Sanctuary
    A 501c3 Non Profit Organization.
    Plum, Pa.
    412-795-0163
    website www.sparro.org/

Saving one dog will not change the world But, surely, for that one dog the world will change forever!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks! This morning I put some in his dish and he has not toucnhed it yet. But him not eating first thing in the AM is not that unusual. It's supposed to be a nice day today and I plan on taking him to the park later on. He has always had his best appetite in the afternoon and early evening. I have noticed that his stool is soft though. I am thinking that is the combination of not eating and new food. I thought I would pick up a small bag of the Innova and see how it goes. Yup...definitely get the puppy formula. That's the sample they gave me..it's got a brown label. And the ingredients look so good. I told my vet the other day that I think I take better care if him than I do myself!

labby is offline Senior Member

Wait!! Are you free feeding this dog? Put the food down and if he doesn't eat it in 10 minutes, pick it back up. Do not give it to him again until his next scheduled feeding time. You do not add food until he cleans the dish. If he leaves 1 kernel, then that is what he gets the next time.

You are catering to him. Bad move.

Laura

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

He does seem to be getting quite picky...
    ~Lindsay

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Laura, you make a great point regarding catering to a dog. My friend has a yellow lab that is somewhat of a "picky eater" or so she thinks. She will add cottage cheese, parmesean, or whatever to get her dog to eat. Now, this dog will eat treats until the cows come home, but some days she will just not eat her food and this has been going on for years!!! The dog knows she will add something to her food and will not eat until she does.

Now, the interesting thing is when her dog stays with me when they go on vacation, I never have a problem with her eating and I don't add anything to her food. She doesn't play her little game with me. . She has got mommy wrapped around her little finger -- and this dog is now 9 yrs. old. It's amusing to watch.

Getting back to Tal, I hope you find a good food for him. I might also suggest Eagle Pack food. Haylee has some allergies and she has done so well on this food -- I've even switched my cats to Eagle Pack and they are also doing well.

Happy Holidays!!

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Wait!! Are you free feeding this dog? Put the food down and if he doesn't eat it in 10 minutes, pick it back up. Do not give it to him again until his next scheduled feeding time. You do not add food until he cleans the dish. If he leaves 1 kernel, then that is what he gets the next time.

You are catering to him. Bad move.
    GUILTY
    I cater.

Tell me how this works......when Rocket practically chews thru this raw hide and I know it's ending up in his stomach as, basically, food, and he eats his food in the morning and in the evening. He does eat, as evidenced by the fact that I'm refilling his dish twice a day. Only, I leave the dish there for him to eat from, and he pretty much empties the bowl once in the morning and once in the evening.

My worry is that instead of eating his food in the 10 minute time frame, he'll rely more on the raw hides. Oh, and the treats too - he gets one treat (usu a milk bone) every day, especially after we get back from a walk (God forbid I forget to do that!)

How do you regulate all this?

Quote Originally Posted by lablimo
    My friend has a yellow lab that is somewhat of a "picky eater" or so she thinks. She will add cottage cheese, parmesean, or whatever to get her dog to eat.
    My husband does the same thing. Drives me mad! Last night after cooking steaks, I had to stop him from pouring the juices over his food. Instead, I grabbed the juices and put them in a separate bowl for him.
    The night before I had to stop my SO from spending $7 on a 3-pack of Pedigree brand Sauces to add to Rocket's food.
    I'm not getting thru to my SO, yet. I only want dog food in his dog dish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast