A good wake-up call about leashes and getting out of cars...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good wake-up call about leashes and getting out of cars...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultA good wake-up call about leashes and getting out of cars...

OK, so class tonight was like there was a full moon or something. ALL the dogs were a little wiggy. We even had a dog fight in the middle of class!!!

The scariest thing happened when we were getting out of our car, and I thought I'd share it as a reminder to us all to be very careful when opening a car door to let the dogs out...

OK, so both boys know to wait until I say, "OKAY" to leap out of the car. I usually block them with my body while I'm putting on their collar and leash, and then when they're all hooked up I step aside and give them the word, and they jump out.

Tonight I was sitting beside Simon in the back seat, door open, unhooking his seat belt, and then putting on his prong collar so I could attach the leash. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a car turns down the street our club is on. This car had a very loud muffler. Sounded sort of like a Harley. Very loud.

Something about this noise spooked Simon. In less than a nanosecond, he tried to LEAP OVER ME and out of the car. BEFORE I got his collar on.

Very fortunately for me I was positioned perfectly to catch him (pretty much in mid-air). He looked extremely panicky, and it took me a few seconds of holding him tightly before I was convinced he wasn't going to try to bolt.

Really shook me up. The look in his eyes, the way he tried to leap over me, he could have been gone in a flash. And that panicked look told me he would have just beelined...I'd have had no control whatsoever.

It just reminded me how quickly things can happen. I'll be a little more careful now about getting them out of cars from now on, keeping the window for escape very, very narrow. olice:

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A good wake-up call about leashes and getting out of cars...

I'm actually planning to start a thread on this subject in the near future. We currently have a Honda CRV which has a split back door, so that we can pop the top and gain control of J&A before we open the hatch and release them. The new CRVs, however, have a hatchback like a minivan. I don't understand how people with this type of vehicle keep their dogs from exiting the car before their leashes are on.

I'm sorry Simon got spooked, and I'm glad to hear you quickly gained control.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

That is scary. I'm glad you were able to be in the right place at the right time and he is ok. I would be shaken too...and a dogfight in the middle of class?? What happened and how did it get resolved? It's those kinds of nights you wish you had just stayed at home...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I bet that shook you up! I'm glad you posted this as a reminder. When I'm taking Brigetta out of her seatbelt harness to put on her GL harness I worry about that, so now if it's just a short ride I just put the seatbelt over her other harness or keep the door closed while I'm putting it on.
    PS: sounds like you had a very interesting class!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I'm sorry that Simon had such a bad scare. Thankfully he didn't get away from you and who knows where.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    The new CRVs, however, have a hatchback like a minivan. I don't understand how people with this type of vehicle keep their dogs from exiting the car before their leashes are on.
    I have a minivan and I haven't had a problem with the dogs. Usually they exit from one of the side doors but I do have a second lead on them so if they jump out before I have control of them I can step on the leash. They are pretty good. They stay put until I give the command but I don't like to risk it. Usually we are somewhere where they don't need to be leashed so they hop down as soon as I say go and start roaming around me but when it's someplace like the vets or other public places they have the second leash and they know that they don't come out of the van until I say otherwise. It helps that usually I have two kids and car seats blocking any hasty escape.

I do the same thing with Sam. He waits while I attach the leash and then when I say okay he comes out. He's really good about waiting, but i can see that if something unusual happened he might be able to get out before I got the leash attached. I also have a CRV and he rides in a wire kennel in the back, so having the door of the kennel closed also gives me some control, in that I can open the back of the CRV without thinking he could jump out.

Frances

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    I don't understand how people with this type of vehicle keep their dogs from exiting the car before their leashes are on.

I'm sorry Simon got spooked, and I'm glad to hear you quickly gained control.
    Wesley is leashed in the back. I took an old leash and looped it around the grating of the separator. The clip end is conveniently there to snap on his collar when we're travelling. So when I open the hatch, he's under control because he's attached.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

With my truck I can block the exit with my body. I have a narrow back seat that I keep folded up and the dogs ride on the floor behind my seat. There is a door to the passenger area but it's smaller than a normal door. I've always been able to manage them well in the truck.

When I got the Trailblazer, one reason I got it was because I could keep them confined in the back while I clipped on leashes and THEN I could reposition the seat on the passenger side to give them access to the floor and out the passenger door. I do not load or unload them from the back hatch as I have little control back there.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have Jeep Wrangler and before I open the door I have Tal in the front seat with me with his collar on. It's an interesting situation because Wranglers are not known for their spacious interiors. I have him on a short leash and I position myself so that between me and the steering wheel he cannot get out.

It is a good reminder that we need to be extra careful when getting our furkids out of the car when away from home.

BudGirl8 Guest

Thank you for the reminder. I know Billie has a tendency to be an escape artist so I'm pretty vigilant. I keep her flat collar and leash on when she's in the back of the Tahoe. It has the split glass/tailgate so I can reach in and get her without the entry being fully open but she has tried once to leap out. With the leash on I grab her and hold her while I switch out to her prong collar. It is the only way I've found to keep her corralled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast