worried about shady

Thread: worried about shady

jmburton Guest

Defaultworried about shady

So, i'm worried about my girl. She's 5 months old right now and since i've owned her she seemed to breath really fast when she's laying down. Sometimes it's not so bad but sometimes it really is pretty un-natural (like now). She even jerks just a little when her breath drops off. These breaths are very frequent almost like a pant.

Can she have a tumor or something? She's also gaining alot of weight, and she eats the recommended amounts. To me she seems pretty heavy set but i've seem labs out there way heavier at her age.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: worried about shady

Well, really hard to say. Breathing fast is so relative...

Your other dog is older, right? I think I remember that from another post. Are you sure that it's not just a difference in their activity level? I ask because I had an older dog, Crash, and when I got Angus there were so many things at first that seemed "unnatural," but it was really just that it had been so long since I had a puppy that I forgot how they were. :P

Have you mentioned it to your vet?

The only other thing that comes to mind is, some dogs (well, most dogs) pant excessively if they are nervous. I know Simon spent the first three or so days here after we adopted him panting his head off. I doubt this is the case with her, but I don't know, felt like mentioning it.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

One thing I noticed when I got Tal is that his breathing is always faster than human breathing. This is normal I think. If Shady is almost panting when she is laying down you may want to get her checked by the vet. Sometimes when they are asleep they will jerk...it freaked me out the first time I saw Tal do that..I though oh no he is having a seizure. But he wasn't...and as he has gotten older that has pretty much stopped.

He and Shady are the same age too...5 months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jmburton Guest

she does a light caugh more so like when a human burps but holds it in and just kinda jerks back. but i know how dogs dream really dramatic this is not the case for her right now. i have brought this up with the vet but he wasnt concerned. he said she'll be fine. but as she gets older i hoped she'd grow out of it. she was breathing easily over 70 breaths a minute. thats really fast to me.shadow is 7 months now but he is not your typical lab. infact he's a golden lab mix.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm not sure about the breathing issue. But you said Shady had gained alot of weight and that you are feeding the recommended amount. How old is she? How much does she weigh? And how much are you feeding her (and what kind of food)? In general, the recommendations on the back of the bag are too high.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think I would cut back on the food intake and make sure she gets plenty of exercise. If she is overweight you want to start off gently with the exercise. Good luck.