HELP, please! **update** Curiouser and curiouser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP, please! **update** Curiouser and curiouser

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultHELP, please! **update** Curiouser and curiouser

I posted yesterday about Tal not eating his kibble. I'm inclined to believe that there is something wrong with the kibble. I gave him a couple of the freeze dried liver treats and he scarfed those down. I just gave him a soup bone with marrow and it has a good amount of meat on it. He is eating that like I would expect.

I have been using IAMS LB puppy food and until now with no problem. I know you should switch over the course of a few days but I don't know whether to or not. Or if this is a phase?

I really do not think there is anything physicall wrong with him because he is behaving perfectly normal..except for this not eating his kibble. That's the only food he won't eat. Not sure what to do from here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP, please!

Toby's done that a few times, especially when he's gotten extra treats. Usually it only lasts a short while and we cut back on the treats and wait him out until he gets hungry enough to rediscover the joys of kibble (a day or two). Once recently, however, it went on longer than we were comforable with, so we tried a sample of a different brand which he liked and ate, so we caved in and changed over. And donated close to 40 pounds of expensive high-end brand dog food to the local lab rescue.

One or two days, don't panic. But if it's longer or you're just that worried you don't want to let him get hungry, try a sample amount of a different food and see if he responds to it and how he does on it - before you get rid of the other.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

What food are you switching to? Is Tal's bowl clean? Everything else about him seem normal? I think if I were a young dog being given liver treats and marrow bones I'd turn my nose up at my kibble, too.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    What food are you switching to? Is Tal's bowl clean? Everything else about him seem normal? I think if I were a young dog being given liver treats and marrow bones I'd turn my nose up at my kibble, too.
    I haven't actually switched to any other food. I wash his bowl at most every other day...usually every day. There is absolutely nothing else to indicate there is anything wrong with him. He has had these treats before and still eaten his kibble. But with his other little tests lately this may just be another way to try test the limits.

I was expecting things like when he delays coming when called and stuff like that. It just caught me off guard that he refused to eat his kibble.

I wanted to make sure he was ok by giving him probably his two favorite things..the freeze dired liver and the bone. Now that I know he isn't refusing all food, and with no other signs of any ailment, I'll just wait him out. Fortunately the vet is open Saturday morning so if he still is not eating by then I will take him in. He better make good if this bone because until he eats his kibble...lol

I think I would buy a new small bag of what you are currently feeding and see if he eats it.l If so I would then try some of the old bag the next meal. If he refuses to eat it I would get rid of the old bag. I would not donate it. I would be afraid he is trying to tell you something is wrong with the food but if you starve him enough he will eat it anyway. Kibble does go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by azlab
    I think I would buy a new small bag of what you are currently feeding and see if he eats it.l If so I would then try some of the old bag the next meal. If he refuses to eat it I would get rid of the old bag. I would not donate it. I would be afraid he is trying to tell you something is wrong with the food but if you starve him enough he will eat it anyway. Kibble does go bad.
    It occured to me after I posted that he has eaten meals out of this bag since Monday..so all day Monday and Tuesday without any problem. Yesterday when I was trying to figure all this out, I mixed some of his liver treats with the kibble. He ate almost all of it.

labby is offline Senior Member

How old is he now? Could he be teething? They can go off their food while teething. How many times per day are you feeding? Sometimes dogs tell us its time for just twice a day by going off their food.

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Has he ever rejected kibble before?

You may be the lucky owner of a self regulating Lab. If not, I would try the suggestion of buying a small new bag of the same food. If he eats the new bag there might be something wrong with the old bag...mould occurs sometimes if a bag is left open for weeks.

My dog isn't big on the Iams LB Puppy food (chicken/rice) either.
    I'm switching back to lamb/rice when I go to the pet store tonight.....

when you said u mixed a few treats with his food, maybe that's why he's not eating it. He wants there to be a treat in there. Tuck is on Iams too, and so far no problems. There might be something in the bag, but probably not. I would buy a small bag, and try it, but he might just not eat it b/c he had treats mixed and now there aren't any

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast