Making a dog bed

Thread: Making a dog bed

DefaultMaking a dog bed

I do enough sewing so I thougt I might make a dog bed or 2. Can anybody suggest what to stuff them with?
    What are your dogs beds made of and what kind of material was used?
    Pat

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Making a dog bed

I have no idea, but I have been thinking about this too! I don't sew, so I'm going to have to talk my Mom into trying.

I was talking to my vet the other day and he was telling me about special-ordering some kind of foam. He said just the foam was going to be like $200! Dang, that is some special foam!

I sure like the idea of making one. Dog beds are just ridiculously expensive! Plus, if you sew your own, you have so many more fabric choices!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

If you fill them with cedar chips it helps to keep the dogs smelling fresh and it acts as a deterrent to some insects because they won't go near cedar.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

I was at Hobby Lobby not to log ago and saw that they had dog bed forms that you could just make a cover to go over it. I think when I looked at the size I would need for my girls it was like $50 a form . I figured I could buy a new bed for that...
    My mom wants me to take the old sleeping bags we have and some how fold them up and make a cover for them or something...
    Id sure like to see what you come up with!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I have one filled with human bed topper foam - not the egg crate type (which is OK) but the kind with 1" squares cut half way through, (Wal Mart has it) I have one triple thick with this foam and my dogs love it. Duke would rather sleep on that than in bed. If you got the twin bed size and just fold it to triple thickness and make a cover for it, it would be perfect.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

You can buy shredded foam by the bag at Joann's. It takes 6 of their bags to make a very fluffy bed for lab sized dogs. All of the major pattern companies have patterns and instructions for dog beds of various sizes. There are places on line you can order shredded foam including memory foam shredded. I fill mine with foam, cedar chips, lavender,hops,pennyroyal,rosebuds.

Does the foam hold a smell after a while? Can you wash it? Maybe a combination of foam and cedar chips? Material isn't really a problem and a pattern is not hard to make. What size is good? With the 2 labs already sleeping together, I'll need 2 or a half decent size. Would 32"X42" be big enough?
    Pat

Samson is offline Senior Member

It's called Kapok over here

Whatever you do don't use polystyrene

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

My beds last a year or two. The foam,cedar,herb combo is not really washable although the covers are. Mine have zippered covers I make in a very washable cotton fabric. That way I have covers that either match the decor or are holiday oriented. I make round or wedge shaped beds from a pattern and as I have a very small dog as well as cats I have several sizes. My favorite pattern is Simplicity 9065, makes round beds from 25" diameter to 52" diameter.

I made tuck one out of fleece and i just put remnites of extra materials and foam in mine