Not Eating

Thread: Not Eating

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot Eating

This morning Tal didn't eat anything...which is not that unusual when he has been wiped out. He has never eaten until he burst.

About 2 I hand fed him some of his kibble thinking that would work. He ate it as long as I fed him. We went to the park and he did great...ate treats as normal (I was using his kibble) and when we got home he ate his bowl only after I sprinkled some freeze dried liver in it. That is the only meal he has had today.

He is in no distress, activity level is what I would expect, poop is normal, drinking plenty of water.

Does yous do something like occasionally? he is 5 months now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Not Eating

Due to his 2 accidents in the house the last few days, I'd wonder if maybe he wasn't feeling well. If he is acting normal in all other ways - I'd wait til tomorrow and see.

One word of advice. If he is suddenly snubbing his food - take note. The whole Diamond food tragedy last year had numerous reports of dog's suddenly refusing their normal food. The dogs were right and something was very wrong with the food.

(And don't substitute people food to get him to entice him to eat something because then you won't know if he is just deciding he won't eat the normal boring stuff when the people food is much tastier.)

How many times per day do you usually feed him? Maybe he's just ready to cut back from 3 to 2 times?

Hope he's ok and back to his old self tomorrow.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I thought of the Diamond food thing and I did just get this bag. It's IAMS LB puppy food. He has already eaten several meals from it though.

I gave him a bite of my chicken breast the other day but that is the only human food he has had. The freeze dried liver is a doggie treat I get at Petco. When I left earlier this afternoon I gave him his frozen kong and he ate that as usual also.

I have been feeding him 3x a day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

I can't remember how old Taffy was when we cut her down to 2 meals. Hopefully someone else will post.

Just a thought. Tal is about 2 weeks older than Tally. Is he cutting his molars and not wanting to chew because of a sore mouth? Have you tried softening the food to see if he'll go for it.
    Pat

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ahhh, yeah, cutting teeth! That could be it. Five months is about mid-teething, isn't it?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

He might be ready for having only 2 meals now.
    Buck started to refuse his mid day meal around 3.5 months.
    It is possible that his teeth are bothering him too like Mischasmom said.

I'd just leave his food down for 15 mins and if he doesn't eat it. Then remove the food. No need to bribe him with tasty stuff.

Keep a close watch in the mean time. Check his poop and activity level and water intake like you have been. Hopefully it's nothing serious and simply Tal growing up and needing to eat only twice a day.
    Heck! He may even be one of those rare self regulating labbies!! How cool would that be??? 8)
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Kathryn Guest

Dakota was about this age when I took her noon meal away. She just wasn't intrested in eatting as much as I thought she should be. I had no trouble with taking it away. It was like she had never even had it.
    I hope everything is okay with Tal..