Crating (cross post)

Thread: Crating (cross post)

dare1969 Guest

DefaultCrating (cross post)

Ok, I have decided to start crating Sydney after her recent bought of destroying everything around her. She is 1. How do I go about starting this??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crating (cross post)

I've never crate trained a dog as young as Sydney, so I'm not sure if what I did can be useful
    Freedom was 7 when I got him from the shelter and as I very quickly found out claustrophobic. Possibly as a side effect of being in the shelter so long. So I set up his crate where he could see it, and let him watch the set up and then just left it there for a few days. he watched the other dogs get fed in their crates, so from there it was very easy one day his meal was in the crate and the next the door was shut. he loves his crate now and goes in when ever the world over whelms him and has his meals in there. Everone is crated for meals in my house because different dogs get different meds and I don't want them swapping dishes.

I'm sure there are others that have crate trained younger dogs and have more age appropriate tips

kaytris is offline Senior Member

To add to the above, make the crate the most fun place ever. Toss treats and toys in there throughout the day. Meals always in the crate. I would start out with the crate in the most used room of the house, space permitting. While you're watching TV, make a stuffed kong for Sydney and give it to her in the crate - door open initially, then shut once she's comfortable with it.

Take it slow and easy, and again, make it FUN!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Prudence was a couple of years old before I started using a crate with her and Brigetta was about 14 weeks. I would always leave the door open. You can put a treat in the crate and when Sydney goes in after it, praise her. Do this several times a day, eventually she will go in on her own. I would say, get in your house and toss the treat in. Like Cinder4evr suggested, start feeding Sydney her meals in the crate. I put the bowl in the crate, then put Brigetta in a sit position, tell her to wait, then say ok- and she will dart into the crate to eat. Prudence loves her crate, Brigetta does not, so the training has taken longer, but she will go in on her own now. A suggestion from my trainer was to have Brigetta in the crate for short periods while I was home. I give Brigetta a command to get in her crate, when she goes in praise her and give her a treat, shut the door, and go and do something. I ignore her when she is whining or barking to get out and praise and give her a treat when she is quiet. I won't let her out until she is quiet. With Brigetta I also have to make sure she has had a walk or retrieve session before I crate her. I'm sure others will have more suggestions. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

Never use the crate for punishment.

I agree with Taffy's Mom. When you leave don't stand their and make a big deal about it. If you act like their is something to worry about she is going to think she has something to worry about. Often this is how seperation anxiety starts. When you leave act as if your going to be back in five minutes and just go.
    Olie

Kathryn Guest

Maggie was 7 months old when she ate my bed : It was then that we got a crate for her. At first she was afraid of it. Then I got in it with her and we layed there for a while and I got out. I put treats in there and I would put her in there and shut the door. after a few moments I let her out and gave her a treat. EVERY TIME she went in her crate on her own she got a treat. after I felt like she was okay with it I gave her some bread (our girls LOVE LOVE LOVE bread) and told her "Crate" and put my hand into the crate with the bread and she went. I closed the door and off I went. I never had any trouble with Dakota to teach her the crate was a good thing... She just took to it. Other than the screaming and barking she did when I left the room. But I now tell her NO BARK when I leave and she just sits there and looks at the bedroom door to see if I will open it. When I dont I can hear her flop down and sigh and then falls asleep..