Where does your lab sleep?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does your lab sleep?

DefaultWhere does your lab sleep?

I'm curious - those of you who crate-trained your puppy - at what age did you stop making it sleep in its crate? Do you have a designated spot (a dog bed or pillows or something...or next to you in your bed) where the dog sleeps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Where does your lab sleep?

It just depends on the dog. In the past I had a dog that I couldn't trust until he was over a year old. But Rocket, my current lab, was holding it thru the night in his crate by the time he was 3 months old. By the time he was 4 months old I was letting him sleep in the bed with me. Two months later - no problems. The only time he kept waking me up at night was when it was snowing/sleeting outside and he just really wanted to be outside playing (all night).

If you're certain your dog will wake you when he needs to go out, try it. I didn't know if Rocket was ready, and wanted to wait until after his first birthday, but it was my husband who kept begging for me to let him sleep with us.

You really don't know unless you try.

Oh, and advice: Until I was certain he was "safe" at night, I kept every door to every room in my house closed -- just in case. Rocket's not a wanderer, we don't do that anymore.

Good luck.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Both mine have full bed privledges - both received these right at 2 yrs old...but that was when they were due too!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jersey is still in his crate at night and he's 16 months. This is mostly b/c he loves it in there though. We have our nighttime ritual of laying on the couch together watching TV and when I say it's "bedtime" he jumps up, asks to go outside for his last potty, runs back in and goes straight into his crate and lays down. So...I'm not going to change things for a while. I will eventually just leave the door to his crate open but since he's recently figured out how to open the latch on the gate that keeps him in the kitchen I won't be doing that until the latch is changed!

Kathryn Guest

Both Maggie and Dakota are crate trained but DONT sleep in their crates at night.. Never have.. If I go back to bed in the morning I do put Dakota in her crate. If I dont Maggie and Dakota think its play time and I will get smashed

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

Our dog sleeps in a crate next to our bed. She gets sleeping rights to the bed on Sunday afternoons when I like to take a nap.

Toyland

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Maggie and Daisy have full house priviledges at night. They mostly sleep in the living room on one of chairs or the floor. Maggie is not a big fan of the stairs so she stays downstairs,Daisy sleeps upstairs or down,it depends. They earned their nightime priviledges at about 14 months.

Daytime priviledges for more than an hour have yet to be earned. I hope the crates will be used less and less in the next few months.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

BudGirl8 Guest

I gate the door to my bedroom and Billie sleeps on a comforter on the floor. I'm going to try out a bed from Walmart soon and see if she shreds it. ;D I figure since she's crated all day she doesn't need to be crated at night. I've recently started letting her out about 5 in the morning to go sleep on the couch when she wants to get up and I'm not getting up at 5 am. She does well. Just goes and curls up out there until I get up at 7. She's just over 2 now. I've only had her about 8 months.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I can't remember how long Ender has slept out of his crate, or in his crate with the door open. He's a bit of a nomad... he starts in his crate, he might sleep on the floor (usually on our clothes that we've thrown there to be picked up whenever)... but he always always ends up snuggled up at the foot of the bed... with his front paws and chin lying on my feet. I LOVE it.
    ~Lindsay

Dakota who is almost 3 sleeps in the living room either on the couch or on the rug. Or in the spare bedroom on the futon.....

Denali who is 9 mo. old. sleeps in his crate...but crate door open. It's been like that for a couple months now. His crate is in the utiltiy room and he can't do much damage....but in the morning i find him sleeping in his crate with the door open...and last week he was so tired he went and laid down in his crate....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast