I guess I spoke too soon..:(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess I spoke too soon..:(

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI guess I spoke too soon..:(

Tal had been asleep on my bed and I got up and went to get the sheets out of the dryer. I thought I'll make up the bed then take him out to potty..then to bed. Well when I was coming back thru the living room there he was...squatting and taking a dump right where he did the other day. No warning or anything. I just cleaned it up and put him in his crate. I think he knows he did something he should not do. By the way, the poop was normal. So no emergency there.

I decided right then and there that I will keep him crated like I did when I frist brought him home. Am open for other ideas as well....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Merlot_1 Guest

DefaultRe: I guess I spoke too soon..:(

Don't have an answer for you on this one. I was lucky, Merlot never had an accident after he was 8 weeks old. I brought him home from the breeder at 5 weeks,(many say that is too early), but he was house broke at 7 weeks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

i've read about the 6 ft. rule. Until the pup can be trusted if you have things to do, and you don't want to crate him, tie him to your belt with a 6 ft. leash then you can get your stuff done and he has to stay with you...where you can supervise.

just an idea! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

make sure you descent that area

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Keep him crated. He has proved he is not trustworthy in the house yet. Tal is what, 5 months old? I think you are giving him freedom too soon.

My puppy just turned one. I noticed that there were several periods during the year that he would seem not to be housebroken. We would go two months without accidents and then over several days have him just stop and squat without telling us he needed to go. I think it may be developmental. Just really reinforce the housetraining again with big praise when he goes where he should. When I was freaking out about this I looked to the forum and several other labs my puppies age were having the same problems. Tal is still a baby and is still learning. It is often one step forward two steps back. Hang in there.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

So you caught him in the act ... did you correct him w/ a firm "NO" and take him immediately outside (just as you did when he was a wee one)?

If you catch him in the middle of the act you need to make a big deal out of it "NO" and carry him outside poo and all...If you dont catch them in the act and just find a pile 'o poo then theres not much you can do except clean.Mille had less than a dozen accidents in her first few weeks and hasnt even attempted to go in the house in months.Another thing that may have helped me was when she was outside going,as soon as she would get done(#1 or2) Id always praise her for going outside "good girl" etc.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

i remember with both Sunshien and Finnigan they were doing really well and then they suddenly forgot or couldn't make it to the door for a while and then it stopped. With ours it was only for pees and they were ususally on their way to the door or close to it, they just seem to have waited too long and then couldn't hold it. it reminded me of children who grow to fast for their bladders and start to wet the bed or have accidents for a short period of time.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas. I may try the 6 foot rule. Yes Tal is 5 months and for several weeks has had no accident.

I did say NO! but then didn't take him outside immediately. My mistake. Up until the last few days he has been trustworthy in the house. I guess I lulled myself into thinking he was housebroken. So I am doing like I did when Ifirst brought him home.

During the night I got up and let him out once. He didn't want to go back in his crate but I made him. He whined for a minute or so then dropped off to sleep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast