somebody say something to make me feel better....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: somebody say something to make me feel better....

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultsomebody say something to make me feel better....

As most of you know we had a lab....Annie....whom we adored. When we lost her we got another lab puppy...Sally....whom we adore just as much. We've always had dogs....Basset Hounds....and love them to death. But we wanted a boat dog. We spend all of our summers out on the lake and have always wanted a dog we could take out on the boat who would love to swim with us. (As much as we love our Bassets, they don't exactly make for good swimmers!)

Annie was perfect in that regard. We couldn't keep that dog out of the water. She would fetch in the water and swim until she could barely stand up! And we've so been looking forward to taking Sally to the lake this summer.

Okay....today it's 75 and sunny here. So I get out Annie's old kiddie pool that she would splash around and play in. I fill it with water....ever mixed in some warm water to make it more comfortable.....fully expecting Sally to love the water.

She hated it!! Wouldn't go near it. :-[ Not even to play with her toys! ??? ??? ???

Someone please tell me this is not a precursor of what's going to happen at the lake this summer. Please tell me that this doesn't mean Sally will not like water. I'm dying here!!!!! Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: somebody say something to make me feel better....

I don't think Sally's reaction today is a reliable indicatio of her love of water later in her life. When Scotty was a puppy, we tried to get him to swim in a little lake. He did not want anything to do with it for the longest time. Eventually, he came around. He loves water now. In fact, just the other day, he jumped several times into a pool on a college campus when ground was covered in snow and it was slightly below freezing. We could not get him out.

I'd say don't push Sally too much about water and swimming. You don't want to turn her off of it. Just do it gradually.

My Coco (now almost 5years old) first didn't like the water that much.
    I had kiddy pool like just like you have, and she looked at me like
    "What are you trying to do to me, mom??"

But at summer time, I took her to the near lake, and play fetch by the
    shore line, I could not keep that dog out of the water!!!
    So, may be it is a puppy thing??

I haven't tried that with my new puppy, ZsaZsa(almost 4 month old) but
    she sure hated water in the shower... (She rolled in poop, so I had to give her
    a bath.. The mouth wash/water spray that I usually use couldn't take care of
    that mess....)

So, I won't worry about it too much

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

OK, deep breath. Her reaction probably has nothing to do with how she'll be at the lake. Though that doesn't guarantee anything.

However, Toby (our 1-year old chocolate monster) didn't take to swimming well at first, either. He loved playing in the spray of the hose, and didn't mind the shower. He didn't care much for the bath at first, though that changed. The first time we took him to the dog park with a pond, he sank like a rock. I'm not kidding. His maiden voyage was like a submarine, not even the Titanic, he didn't stay above water for even a short journey. Fully submerged and not happy about it at all. We thought we had the world's only sinking labrador. After that inauspicious introduction, it took a few months before he ventured in again. Oh, he'd splash, run around, and wade in up to his elbows, or if he was feeling especially brave, to his chest. But that was it. My BF, who had visions of having a dock dog, was devastated. Then, one day, it happened. Toby ventured in and swam about 10 feet, but it was real swimming. The way we carried on, you would have thought we won the lottery. Someone there (probably looked at us, looked at him, thought "lab swimming, duh!"), turned to us at the side of the pond and said, "You two don't have kids, do you?"

Now, we can't keep him out of the water. He'll go in just to swim around, no fetching or anything, though he's also crazy about doing water retrieves of his bumper. We joke that we should have named him Evinrude. He has a wake coming off him. Though Mark is still crushed that he'll only splash in, not do flying leaps like some of the other dogs do. So still no future as a dock dog for Toby.

We don't know how Chamois will be with the water, she's just been in the bathtub once and the shower once. She's not quite ready to take to the pond at the park (she needs another set of shots). But she did launch herself off the front step and literally over top of Toby the other day, so Mark's dreams of a dock dog have been rekindled for now...

Anyway, that was a long way to say that Sally may very well change her mind, so don't lose hope yet.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

dare1969 Guest

i would wait until she is a little older and try again. Sydney didn't like water until she was about 6 months

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Theo was both curious and afraid of the water until he was about 5-6 months old. Now he is a swimmin' fool.

P.S. To this day, Theo will only go in a kiddie pool to pee in it. :

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Don't feel bad at all!!

I was in the same boat as you. Bought a kiddie pool for Zoe, and she hated it. She would gingerly step in and quickly jump out.

However, she absolutely loves the ocean. She can swim all day if I let her. She started a week after her final shot. Jumped right in and started swimming!

Till this day (she's 4), she still won't go in the kiddie pool by herself. She'll go on command, but does it only because I asked her to. :-\

I'm sure Sally will be fine.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Rocket wouldn't go in the tub, pool, anything either.
    Then I took him to the lake with a friend and her dog - now I can't keep him out of any body of water (excluding rain - the wimp won't go out in it unless I go with him).

Try a different approach - maybe with another dog who already loves it....worked for me.

BudGirl8 Guest

Billie is just over 2 and swims like a champ at the lake but won't touch that kiddie pool for all the treats in the world. She knocked my friend in the chin so hard I thought Dianne was going to pass out when Billie jumped over the pool. Full on head to chin collision. Don't worry about it too much. She'll figure it out, and then probably start trying to steal your baths when you turn your back.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Don't stress it. Maddy hated the water up until 7 months...ran away from the hose, the baby pool scared her, the ocean freaked her out even more. Then my hubby got in the pool with her and it all clicked.

This is about a month after we broke her of her fright...

Even with Grace, I had to take her in the pool with me and gradually get her used to the water...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast