Excuse the rant!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excuse the rant!!!

rockwater is offline Senior Member

DefaultExcuse the rant!!!

So I volunteer with a local no kill group. They do not have a shelter but have a list of foster parents who take animals in until a suitable home can be found for them. I started with them a year ago helping to train "more diffecult to place dogs due to behavior problems/lack of training". They realised I had a soft spot in my heart for labs and have contacted me a couple of times now to foster labs that they had come in.

Anyway, I get a call last night..."Hi Ken, this is X, I was just contacted by a gentleman who is leaving tomorrow for Alberta to work in a camp up there. He has two purebred labs, a male and female that cannot go with him. He gave the male away to a hunting buddy of his but he cannot find a place for the female. He leave 7 in the morning and said the dog will be tied outside if we do not take her. You interested in fostering her for a while?"

So in I go.

He brings the dog in...well there is a lab in there somewhere but she is far from pure (big give away is the curly tail). He says she is a "rustic lab"...ever hear of that? You can see every rib bone in her body, her teets are down so she just had a litter of pups (a month and a half ago according to the guy). Oh my...I was getting angry just listening to him. He said he paid $350 for her and the "breeder" he got her from had other labs there that he was charging $600 for.

The poor dear though loved him and nearly went through the door when he was in the other room filling out the papers to give her up.

I got her home, fed her some good food, brushed her down with the hair coming off in clumps, dealt with some runny stool and brought her for a walk.

She is going to be a beautiful dog with a little TLC, a good diet and some obedience training. Morgan and her and still feeling eachother out. She has not left my side since the walk and I think she is going to be fairly easy to train. She slept the night away last night and ahd a firm(er) stool this morning.

Grrrrr...why do people get dogs and not look after them? Why when you know you are probably going to have to leave the province and cannot take your dog with you would you get a dog (much less two) in the first place? Why accept a job where you cannot take your dogs if you have dogs? Why contribute to the over breeding problem? And why in the h$!! can't something be done about back yard breeders?

Anyway, makes me angry. Because it is Christmas season, I am probably going to have her for the long haul which is good because I can fatten her up, give her some regular exercise and the TLC she needs. I'll post some pics as well. For those wondering what a "fox red" coat looks like, she has it in spades.

Wish me luck

Ken
    Proud dad to Morgan and Tanner.<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Excuse the rant!!!

Awww poor gal. I don't get some ppl! > > >

Thank you for taking care of her. I bet she will make somebody very happy. Keep us updated about her and don't forget to post pics!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Ken thank you for saving her life. You coming into her life may be the best thing that ever happened to her.
    Why do people get dogs they can't take care of? That is the million dollar question.
    Some friends of mine are fostering and are in the process of adopting a 16 month old yellow Lab that was crated 20 hours a day because the family had twin babies and didn't have enough time for the dog and couldn't figure out why she was having behavioral problems? : They told the rescue group if they didn't come and get the dog that weekend she was going to the vets the following Monday to be put down. My friends have a Chessie and two cats and they all get along fine with Hannah, (her new name). We have been to the dog park with them twice now. Oona loves her, and she gets along well with the other dogs. She walks well on the leash. The only problem I have seen with her is she doesn't have alot of muscle mass because of the lack of activity. If these people had invested one hour a day playing with her, she would still be in their home. But like the dog you have their, Hannah is in a much better situation now.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you were able to take her in and give her the TLC she deserves I hope you find her a good home.
    I don't get some people either :
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Thank you for saving her. Poor girl.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Thanks for saving this girl's life. It is very frustrating to see people being so heartless.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Poor girl, I am continually disappointed by some people. And how ironic is it that they will never have any idea how much love they got from an animal, that they (the people, that is) don't deserve at all. Sounds like she's in a better situation now, thank you for saving her life, hopefully next time, she'll find someone worthy of her love, and who can return it.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

abpingue is offline Senior Member

Thanks for saving her and good luck for her future.

And why in heck did he wait so long to find her a home? I wanna smack him.....

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Folks who do dogs that way are big losers. They animals are much better off in their current situations and have a chance that they will be in homes where they are loved and cared for like they deserve.

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

That is like we cannot figure out who would give up Cierra.

The owners said she had never had pups but her teats are 1/2 the size now they were when my BR adopted her.

The owners told the Humane Society she was spayed. She came into heat 4 months later.

The owner told them she was a beagle. She is an American Fox Hound.

She was kept outdoors most of the time. Her coat and ears were horrible. She wasn't completely house-broken. They told them she was 2 1/2 the vet thinks she is about a year younger.

I suspect they got her, bred her found out what hard work puppy are and not a major cash flow and dumped her. My BR is still trying to get her 100% house-trained. But she is the sweetest most lovable dog anyone could ask for.

I just don't understand some people.
    Karon<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast