Poll re: boarding

View Poll Results: Would you board your dog at a place that does not have overnight staffing?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 7.69%
  • No

36 92.31%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll re: boarding

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoll re: boarding

My usual boarding facility has staff on the premises 24/7. When we went to make our Christmas reservations 6 weeks ago, they were already booked. We have a backup facility (which we have never used before). They seem nice and clean, but they go home at 9 PM and don't come back until 7 AM. I am uncomfortable with the dogs having no supervision for 10 hours at a time, but I really don't want to drag all three dogs on a 13 hour drive across the northeast.

Advice, anyone?

Thanks!
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BrooknHannah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Poll re: boarding

I say no only b/c these dogs don't know each other, and anything can happen, plus being in a new place, what if she gets diarea or something and can't go outside. I don't know, just My opinion I hope you find something!!! what about someone who can check on ur dog, let it out a few times a day? I know we've dog sat, at our house before
    <br /><br /> <br /><br /> Brook and Tuck and the kids and hubby!<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; Love, The Rhineharts

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

No advice as I have never had to board so far (fingers crossed that our current "babysitters" don't move) but I'm with you a bit uncomfortable about the non-supervision. I know my trainer offers to her clients onlu a bit of puppy sitting - is there anyone around that can help you?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tater Guest

I wouldn't leave them there. Cody worked for a VET and they didn't have overnight staff. Which is why I haven't taken Tater up there for boarding. If my parents or his parents cant watch Tater we don't go anywhere. He said they would leave at like 8 or 9 and wouldn't come back till the VET opened and he said they would just clean the cages and before the people pick up the dogs give them a bath. So I don't trust leaving them there. Sorry I am sure that isn't what you wanted to hear. I hope everything works out for you and the dogs.

Can you call your other place and see if they have had a cancellation?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I didn't vote because I'm not sure. I've never boarded, and don't ever plan to.

I'm sure they're not boarded in a tiny cage overnight, right? So I wouldn't worry about them having
    to go to the bathroom overnight (I'm thinking it's one of those long indoor runs). Plus the fact that most dogs will be sleeping from 9 pm until 7 am. I know mine would.

If it's really clean, I think I'd lean towards saying yes.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I'm paranoid. God forbid if a fire ever broke out in the middle of the night....

We board Wesley when we go on vacation -- it's once a year for a week. He LOVES this place, and they him, so it's all good. But the owner/operator's home is attached to the kennels, and someone is there 'round the clock.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

God forbid if a fire ever broke out in the middle of the night....
    Ah crap Dan.
    Change my vote to no.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

mich is offline Senior Member

no
    no
    and no
    &lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Because Theo is epileptic, we can't board him anywhere that doesn't have night staff. But I wouldn't anyway for the reasons others have mentioned.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I would go ahead and board. I don't think that is as uncommon as you think. Regarding the fire: Let's face it, it would be no different than if you are out for the day and your house caught on fire.

FWIW, I made all my boarding reservations for the year last January. As I made other arrangements (a friend has been able to watch her) I canceled them. But it's a backup plan if I need it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast