Someone keeps leaving our gates open - I'm lucky I have such good dogs!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone keeps leaving our gates open - I'm lucky I have such good dogs!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultSomeone keeps leaving our gates open - I'm lucky I have such good dogs!

At least 3 times over the last few weeks we have found our backyard gates left open. Twice the dogs had gotten out, but luckily they just stay close to the house so our neighbors were able to bring them home. We always get the "your dogs are so nice". But I am so worried someone not so nice will think the same thing and take them. Both times it happened while the babysitter was at home, so they now are required to check the gates before letting the dogs out to potty. Our dogs are never left outside.

We finally put a locking carabiner on the one gate, but this morning when I was out with the dogs the gate on the other side was open. Again, I have such good dogs that neither of them even went out. I don't know if we have kids playing a game, or someone coming into our yard. Our gates latch from the inside, so putting a lock on them won't work and they are 5ft gates so it can't be someone too small. We may be looking at new gates completely. I'd also like to double gate the sides - something we may do for sure now.

I sure hope it is just a coincidence and that someone isn't purposely trying to leave our gates open so the dogs get out.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kayte85 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Someone keeps leaving our gates open - I'm lucky I have such good dogs!

Good dogs Moose and Sky, I hope you figure out how that is happening. I hope someone would not do that on purpose that would be horrible.
    <br />*He is my friend, my partner, my defender, my dog. I am his<br />life, his love, his leader. He will be mine, faithful and true, to the<br />last beat of his heart. I owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.*

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Someone keeps leaving our gates open - I'm lucky I have such good dogs!

Sounds scary. I'm glad your dogs are so good to stay in the vicinity (sp). What about getting a little camera to record what's going on at the gate in case there is someone deliberately doing it. I think Laura did something like that trying to find a newspaper theif inside her house (was it Shanny?).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

tatyana - that is exactly what my SU is thinking. We have the ability to set up cameras in the front of the house (pre-wired), but he will need to do something about the sides. He has ordered a few cameras already. Guess I should PM Laura and find out what she used.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I would use the cameras if you have the option. Once or twice I could see but if you, hubby or kids are definately not opening them and leaving them open that's too often for just a freak thing happening. I would want to rule out someone else opening it either to get in the back yard or hopeing the dogs get out.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I'd put up new gates and install a hefty lock. There are some horrible people out there and if Moose and Sky have gotten out more than a few times I would be concerned...I doubt it happened by accident.

We have steel gates. Not only are they locked at all times (obviously we have a key to go in and out) but because they are steel they make a loud, distinctive sound every time they open. The dogs bark when they hear it.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Change the latch to the outside (should be very easy. We just did it, took hubby about 5 minutes) and lock it.

Thank goodness you have such good dogs!!!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

TheBigRaloo is offline Senior Member

We installed gate-latches that have a loop for a combination lock ... same combination for both gates, and no risk of losing the key.
    Ivy and Raleigh - BFF since 2001<br />

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I know how upsetting that can be. Our gates are open occasionally and usually it's a kid who had to come into our yard to retrieve a ball. Well, after this happened twice in one week, we put padlocks on the gates. It's kind of a pain in the butt to have to unlock them every time you want to go in our out of them but it's a small price to pay for the security of knowing that they won't be left open. And the balls that get tossed into our yard become dog toys. They don't do it too often now. ;D ;D

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Good thing your dogs don't run away. Ours wouldn't either. But I would change the latch and put a lock/key on each gate from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast