What a way to start the day! Advice Needed! (Poop eating related thread)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a way to start the day! Advice Needed! (Poop eating related thread)

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat a way to start the day! Advice Needed! (Poop eating related thread)

It began by being awakened by a horrible smell at 7 am. Abby had pooped in her crate. Ok, no big deal. It wasn't exactly diarrhea and it was pretty much contained inside the crate. Abby got no breakfast.

Then, I asked my daughter to clean both Jack and Abby's ears. Both dogs are laying on the sofa (the good one!) in the living room. Erin does Jack's ears first, then proceeds onto Abby's. Without any warning at all, Abby opens her mouth and projectile vomits all over my daughter, the sofa, and the wool Oriental rugs.

What's in the vile mess on the floor? POOP! SHE ATE POOP AGAIN!!!

Why do dogs do this? This is maybe the third or fourth time she's eaten poop and gotten sick. I'm thinking of ordering some Forbid today. Has anyone had any success with Forbid? Abby's always had stomach issues and has been eating Science Diet ID dry food for about 4 months now. It's the only food we've had success with (firm poop-wise) but I wonder if it's missing something her body needs? I'm so frustrated at this point!! Help!
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What a way to start the day! Advice Needed! (Poop eating related thread)

Abby opens her mouth and projectile vomits all over my daughter, the sofa, and the wool Oriental rugs.
    Your poor daughter!

Why do dogs do this?
    There are a couple of theories on why dogs do it but honestly, most of the time they eat poop because quite simply, they like the taste.

Do you have any idea who's poop she is eating? her own? your other dogs? other animals?

DefaultRe: What a way to start the day! Advice Needed! (Poop eating related thread)

Do you have any idea who's poop she is eating? her own? your other dogs? other animals?
    No idea. She must have done it last night when I was at work. I usually stand outside and watch them go during the day and caught her doing it only once. We have a fenced in yard and no other critters to speak of other than an occasional rabbit.

Your poor daughter!
    Yeah. The image of my 27 year old daughter stripping off her pj's in the living room and running around gagging will forever be burned into my brain!

Hmmmm.....Now I'm wondering since Abby vomits so closely after having the loose poop in her crate, is she eating it to get rid of it? Does she have loose poop and then eats it? Or does she eat it and the result is loose poop? What came first the chicken or the egg?

I swear this girl is gonna kill me!
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

poor you! your poor daughter!

I don't know how to stop it. Cricket eats poop. She loves Lucy's poop and it doesn't look like she is losing interest anytime soon, so we just have to be super vigilant about clean up in the yard. As soon as Lucy goes, we have to pick it up. It is a pain sometimes because we let the dogs out at 4:45 am and the last thing you want to be doing is going out in the cold in your PJ's picking up poop.

Lucy used to be a real bad poop eater...now she generally just goes for the deer poop.

How old is Abby?

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Ugh, I feel so bad for your daughter!!! :-X

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

How old is Abby?
    She just turned 2 in November.

Abby has the worse stomach ever. Basically, she can't eat anything but her dog food, Iams wheat-free biscuits and ground rawhide sticks from Drs Foster & Smith. If she gets into anything else or is fed a treat by someone who doesn't know, we hold our breath. Our vet once suggested we have her pancreas tested which would involve a biopsy but we went for the change in dog food first. Now I'm re-thinking that.
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

No advice, sorry. But you and your daughter have my sympathy. Yuck.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Kate is offline Senior Member

I tried Forbid with my previous dog and it did not stop her from the "kitten crunchies".
    Aren't we comfortable!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

interesting that she has a very sensitive tummy and she is a chronic poop eater. My friend's Rhodesian has an awful time with a sensitive tummy, the runs, throwing up and he is the worst poop eater I know.
    I hope you can get some answers as to why Abby is having such a rough time. Poor girl.
    ((HUGS)) to Abby even is she has poopy breath.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Oh, no! Poor Erin... Poor Abby... Poor couch and a rug... Pat, I hope you can figure something out. I would be soooooo frustrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast