Bones

Thread: Bones

DefaultBones

I give my girls (black lab and Springer Spaniel) Nylabones to chew on. My springer is a big chewer and my lab will chew on one once in awhile. Anyway, my Mom would like to get them a X-mas present and I was wondering what other bones are similar to Nyalbones that you have come across. I hesitate to give them the edible Nyalbones b/c I have seen posts about dogs eating a large piece and then having an obstruction resulting in surgey, I also don't want any upset tummys b/c we will be out of town when they get the bones to chew on.

Anyway any ideas would be great. Also do you give your dogs any flavors if you use Nyalbones, mine alwasy get original which i think is a plain flavor and I have seen bacon, liver, chicken flavors...maybe a flavored one would be a treat.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bones

What about actual raw marrow bones? there is nothing like the real thing...

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I never give the *fake* bones or rawhide anymore -- they cost too much, are inhaled by Corby, and I worry about obstruction. I've learned alot from this forum! I get knucklebones, and also fill empty marrow bones with various homemade fillings (cooked rice, hamburger, carrot, pot barley, dog food...). Corby gets the most mileage out of the knucklebones, and also loves bones with marrow from the butcher. I tried with the Kong for awhile, but Corby doesn't seem to like that much.

My springer has never been a chewer, and she prefers to lick the filled bones.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do you think the "real" bones might cause an upset tummy the first time they have them?

Also are they messy for indoor chewing?

Nellie never had an upset stomach from the raw marrow bones but she's got a lead stomach. If you're worried only give it for about 15-20 minutes the first few times. I like to keep them in the freezer and give frozen. They are greasy so I give them to Nellie outside and let her clean them off before bringing inside.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If your dog has a sensitive stomach marrow bones might cause upset. The marrow is rich, but they soon get used to it. As mentioned above, you can try giving the bone for a short period of time to begin with. After a few 30 minute sessions with the bone they should be able to handle the marrow with no problems.

I would recommend that you feed most bones outside but if you feed the dog inside on one specific spot (bed or crate) you can minimize mess.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by alliekate

Also are they messy for indoor chewing?
    Yes. We put a washable blanket on the floor and insist that they stay on the blanket. Afterwards, the blanket goes into the wash.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!