grr...frustrated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grr...frustrated

dare1969 Guest

Defaultgrr...frustrated

Saturday I bought Sydney and Spike new very nice pet beds. Saturday night I went out to get our take and bake pizza (see my post under counter surfing for that story), when I came back, Sydney had ripped open her bed and tore out some stuffing. Needless to say, I was not happy.

Today when I get home she not only finished tearing hers completely apart, but she totally destroyed Spikes bed as well!

These beds replaced the blankets she ripped to shredds for them as well.

I can't afford to go out and by a crate for her ( I just bought a house), besides I don't like crating, and I can't afford to keep replacing bedding for her.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: grr...frustrated

Purchasing a crate is a lot cheaper in the long run (if you have to keep replacing dog beds, furniture, etc.) and a lot safer ( and surgery to remove a foriegn object from the intestinal tract can cost $1500-6000). Please reconsider, purchase a crate and keep your girl safe.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I second dogmom's comment. Tal has actually started to like his crate. I still hate crating him but I know it is for his own good when I am not here to tend to him. Chewed furniture and all is expensive and at the very least annoying. Expensive tho it is, it can still be replaced. He cannot. I keep reminding myself that as puppy proof as I have made my place there is always the possibility he could get into something I have overlooked. I could never forgive myself if that happened. That is why I crate him while I am at work.

Please reconsider and get him a crate. I found Tal's on ebay and I paid $55 including shipping. I would have paid about $150 plus tax retail in a pet store here. I got the 48" size.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CrockettsMom is offline Senior Member

I would get a crate - Just like they said it will pay off in the long run - Crockett has eaten every last bed we bought for him, Finally my Husband put his foot down and said no more until he is at least 2 - he now has an old quilt - he seems to love it ... I would get a crate, I honestly do not know what I would do without ours...
    <br />Rebecca Crockett&#39;s Mom<br />www.myspace.com/crockettl8e

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Definitely get a crate for when you aren't around. Like the other's said..it would be waaay cheaper in the long run and much safer too.
    I know it seems "cruel" to crate but it really isn't. My puppy loves his crate. He willingly goes in there as soon as I pick up my car keys. I don't have to say a single word to him. When he is sleepy...he goes in there on his own as well. They are den animals and when they are alone I really think they feel safe and secure in a crate.

If she is ripping these things apart only when you aren't around then I guess your other option would be to put any dog bed away when you aren't home. Just pick them up and put them in a closet when you leave the house.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Adorablelabs is offline Senior Member

I do not know where you are located but if you can not afford a crate at the moment I would suggest www.craiglist.com

If you put an ad in the pet section that you are looking for a crate someone may respond and give you one for free or for a very cheap price.

About a month or so ago, I put up a post that I needed outside dog houses and I got three responses...one gave me one for free (needless to say it was chewed on the edges a bit but I didn't care), I bought one for 20 dollars and another for 50. The fifty dollar one was a great deal. The day before I say it at Petsmart for 140. I was thrilled.

I hope this helps and I hope you find your crate soon.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

The LifeStage crates are very nice and reasonable. I paid $75 at PetSmart for a 42" with two doors and a divider. Much cheaper than a new couch or a vet bill or replacing whatever else your dog will destroy. That new house of yours, well, they can also destroy carpet, chew holes in walls and tear up moldings. Really, if you can't afford a crate, you definitely can't afford the damage this pup will be capable of when he gets older and is bored when home alone. Miles once got a loop of carpet and had a ball pulling, pulling, pulling and unravelling a large section of my new carpeting. His littermate ate a whole in the wall at his house then his owner's teenagers left him with free run of the house one day.

Miles loves his crates now, he goes in them whenever he's really tired on his own. They are den animals and that becomes their den, their safe haven where they can go when they really want to relax.

Honestly, I don't think my breeder will sell anyone a puppy that won't use a crate. It's dangerous for the puppy and frustrating for the owners.

I really encourage you to start using a crate.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

imported_azlab is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others get a crate. Ask your friends that have adult large dogs they may have one in storage you can use until you can afford to get one. Cinnamon hasn't been crated since she was 8 months old but she still has her bedroom crate minus the door because she likes to sleep in there part of the night. In fact that is where she is now. She sleeps on the bed the rest of the night with me.
    Karon<br /><br />

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I will also chime in to recommend a crate. But if that really isn't a possibility, is there a small space you can close off and 100% puppy-proof instead? Confinement is the key both for safety (hers) and for peace-of-mind (yours).
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

mich is offline Senior Member

I looked everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE from the internet to petstores. Walmart beat them all in terms of price.
    The large metal collapsable with two doors and a partition was $60 at Walmart, vs. $80 on the internet and $110 at Petsmart.

It is worth all the money in the world. Don't let your pup trash your new home.
    &lt;IMG SRC=&quot;http://usera.imagecave.com/mmalley/31625d31a9d782b8_o-copy.jpg&quot;&gt;<br />ROCKET....the Best Dog Ever!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast