Update on Simon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Simon

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate on Simon

Well, not really an update. The update is: There is no update. :-\

We took him in this morning for the bile acids test and dropped him off. The deal is, they test his blood after an overnight fast, then feed him, then test again two hours after eating. Well, I was told he was ready to go at 10:30, so I went to get him. But when I got there, it was discovered that the test had not been performed at precisely the right time, rendering the results inaccurate. They had a new lab tech or something. So, we have to do this all over again in the morning.

So, that's the bad news.

The good news is, they said they would not charge us for tomorrow, or today either. So, this test will be free! I thought that was very nice of them. A nice gesture.

But I sure would like to have some resolution. They said that I could have results back by Wednesday, so that will work. I really need to know, because if we are traveling somewhere to do a surgery that requires three days of hospitalization afterward, that would change my upcoming Christmas vacation plans.

Anyway, just thought I'd check in. Hopefully this test is going to show nothing abnormal at all. Even then, we will still have to figure out what was up with that crystal we saw on the first x-ray, and then disappeared on the second.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Update on Simon

I'm glad they are doing the test for free but poor Simon has to starve again. :'( We all know how difficult that is for a Lab.

I hope tomorrow's test goes better.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor Simon...have to do it again. Well thank goodness they are not charging you. Still praying for a good report.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, not really ;D He only has to fast for 12-15 hours, so it just meant he got his dinner a little earlier than usual.

What is hard, though, is no treats later in the evening. :-\ I am having to postpone training with Angus, because I just feel too terrible about giving him treats and Simon not getting any.

I also got a really pitiful "WTH?" look when he went in his crate last night and didn't get his cookie.

Connie and "The Boys":

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Poor Simon, that's not fair. I'll keep you in my prayers. Hopefully it's nothing.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I also got a really pitiful "WTH?" look when he went in his crate last night and didn't get his cookie
    Oh I know that look well. Hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow. It's a pain that you're a day behind. Let us know how it goes.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

What happened to Simon? I've been here pretty sporatically lately and miss a lot. Whatever it is --- sending good thoughts Connie.

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

I hope the tests go well, Connie, and show absolutely nothing.
    Dot in Northern Illinois

Hoping for the best tomorrow ...

Denise, to make a very long story really short:

UTI 3 weeks ago.

Antiobiotics. Re-test. No bacteria. Yay!

Then...more trouble urinating.

The next day, he ate almost a pound each of chocolate covered cherries and Pepperidge Farm cookies.

Back to the vet.

Chocolate was not enough to hurt him. They did x-rays and blood tests.

First x-ray showed a crystal and lots of gas. Second x-ray after BM showed nothing!

But...his blood work came back with a low BUN number.

His urine samples, the past three, have also been lower and lower in specific gravity (concentration of urine).

The two above results raise suspicion of portosystemic liver shunt(s).

However, the general consensus here is that he would be much sicker if he really had these.

The test we are (hopefully) having tomorrow will confirm whether it is PSS liver shunts.

If it is, that would mean a trip to a university teaching hospital for a complicated surgery, after which he would have to spend three days being watched round the clock in the hospital.

If it is not, first, we will rejoice. Then we will try to get to the bottom of what is causing his intermittent accidents and difficulty urinating.

Phew!

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast