Grooming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grooming

DefaultGrooming

Is there a grooming "best advice" thread anywhere like there is for training advice in the training forum?

So far I've been clipping my dog's nails on my own and brushing his teeth from time to time...and I don't really like it (and I don't think he does either). I can't afford to take him out somewhere to get his nails clipped every couple weeks, but I'm looking for any other options. I've heard something about grinding dog's nails. How does that work? Is it easier than clipping? More comfortable for the dog? He's got black nails, so I'm finding it very hard to figure out where the quick is and avoid cutting it. I cut it once and now I'm afraid to cut anywhere close, so his nails are just constantly long.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Grooming

I was a professional groomer for 5 years before kids. My favorite thing to use for grinding nails down is a Dremel tool! It tickles the dog's feet so it takes a few times to get used to it, but it's quick and works great.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

No we don't have a grooming thread. Sorry can't help.

My vet told me if the dog is walked on the pavement it will file down the nails. Ernie runs around the out door table so on one side the nails are short and the other longer.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

oh, for the quicks, they are coming out with nail clippers that find them to prevent cutting them.

http://www.petgadgets.com/product_de...&content_id=15

I'm not sure if they've been released, but they had a date of Aug. 2006 at one time. I imagine these will be pricey though.

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

I use the dremel too. Bailey had trouble with split nails when he was younger every time the vet or tech trimmed his nails he would come home with at least 1-3 bleeding. He will let me use the dremel with his nails, Coleman's nails are so thick it is just easier on him and me. Just have to watch it doesn't get to hot on the nail.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have never clipped my dogs nails. They wear down naturally on our walks. Our walks (2X a day) are off leash, but include maybe 5 minutes getting to the destination and back on leash along the pavement. So by my reckoning that is 20 minutes of road work a day. It does the trick for us...

I use a small wire cutter that I bought for silk flower arranging. Niether of my two like it but a Dremel wouldn't work at all because any motor sound near them sends them running.

For Fanny I cut a little bit off at least once a week, it takes a while though - Give me paw. No, it's mine, give me paw, I have to cut your nails. No, it's mine, give it back. Oh, allright but I'm watching you, you better not put any of that stinky color stuff on them.............

Eddie, being black, is a little more difficult but I haven't hurt him yet. I swear though, because he is a male he hates to be groomed, he would rather be dirty. He runs and hides...................

Teeth cleaning is a whole nuther problem, Eddie runs and hides and Fanny licks her lips through the entire routine, I end up giggling uncontrollably and there ends the session. Smart isn't she?

Now, where's Eddie?...............

You could put him on a schedule where you only clip one or two nails a day, that way you are clipping the nail about every ten days.
    Olie

I bring mine to petco for grooming, teeth cleaning, bath, very nice.....and nail clipping is only 24.00. i bring him once a month ot month and a half. other than that i clip them myself or walk on pavement, it grinds them down. you should only clip off the very tips anyway, should br pretty easy.

when they are younger, and now too when older, you should tap their toenails with a clipper or something so that they get used to the sound, then you could start doing 1 or 2 at a time. What about just a finger nail file that we'd use? You could file them that way and they make them really big and soft so you could do it easily?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast