Can't lose weight

Thread: Can't lose weight

lovingracie is offline Junior Member

DefaultCan't lose weight

Gracie is a big girl to start off. Her Dad was a large English so she's always been a bit bigger but within the last year she went from 73 to 80 lbs. Same amount of exercise and food intake (Natural Balance Reduced Formula). The vet checked her thyroid -NORMAL!!! I am bummed she only gets 2 cups a day already and she got big. The vet suggested 1 cup in the morning and 3/4 at night and supplement with green beans. I give her beans once in a while anyway but I don't know how to get her with a healthy range. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

Increase the exercise and/or decrease the food. Dogs are just like humans, they tend to add weight as they age. Maybe she is just not following you around the house as much as she used to so you don't notice the decrease in activity. You can supplement with things like green beans and carrots to add bulk without adding too many calories so she does not feel like she is getting less, and a raw meaty bone once in awhile is pretty satisfying and good for the teeth.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Also watch what you are giving as treats. I put green beans and carrots in the freezer and give those as treats. Sounds like you are on the right path. If the weather is nice where you are; start doing more walks with her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If she likes to retrieve, then amp that up.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

justine is offline Senior Member

I'm having trouble getting Toby to drop weight, too. He was 97 lbs a couple of months ago at the vet and is still 97 lbs! I can tell he's lost weight and is slimming down, but I think he has gained muscle..!

I second the green beans and the increased retrieves.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I buy 5 lb. packs of frozen green string beans at Sam's Club (about $5) and cook up several servings at a time and then refrigerate it. I add 1 cup of cooked green beans (no salt added) to Puff's suppertime one cup of Kirkland C&R (396 kcals/cup) and she eats those eagerly (when they're cooked soft enough). She has one cup of plain K. C&R in the morning.

For treats, I use/take some kibble from the measure of her next meal. No extra kcals.

I agree -- increase the exercise, increase the fetching. Labs live longer and are healthier when slightly underweight.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

We just dropped 12 lbs off of Hoppy. He went from 86 to 74 lbs. He is also one of those big English blocky labs.

He got one 1 cup of kibble (Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato) and some canned green beans each morning. And then 1/2 cup kibble each evening.

Also, on M-W-F he got a little canned salmon.

I think think the key for us was exercise. He doesn't retrieve, so that was out. We bought him a backpack and loaded it with canned food and gave him big long power walks....no sniffing....no pee/poop....just power walks. On the days he went to daycare, they also gave him big long power walks, sometimes with roller blades.

So, between cutting the food way down and giving him daily exercise (real exercise, not just walking), he should drop some weight.

Good luck!