Kennel Cough Vaccine?

Thread: Kennel Cough Vaccine?

DefaultKennel Cough Vaccine?

Mocha was due for her yearly early October. I had them seperate her shots a few weeks just to be sure since she's had trouble with the rabies the first time. I noticed though that she didn't get her bordatella when I went and looked at the reciepts so I made an appointment Saturday to get it. My question is how many of you have this given and do you do it only once a year or ever 6 months?

I volenteer at the Humane Society twice a week walking the dogs and although I use sanatizer between dogs and wash my hands before playing with Mocha and Smeagol when I get home I worry about bringing it home to them. Smeagol is due for his shots this weekend too so I need to know if I should have them give him it or not as well. (Smeagol is our 7lb 3yo male Yorkie)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough Vaccine?

once a year... well it's our first year this October. Haven't done it before, and Emma has never had kennel cough either. It's not very common around here.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

because of the rescue, I give to Rider once a year. It won't cover all strains but it will help with the duration and severity of it if he gets it again.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think Mocha had it last spring but since she had a vaccination it wasn't that bad just a few coughs in the morning and when excited for several days. She had been plaing with a new neighbor dog who was just adopted from the HS.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

I was told that the nasal one is good for 6 months and the shot is good for one year.

Mybabymambo Guest

We are required to do it every 6 months here. Thats cause its going around. They told me before rules were changed in this area it was once a year

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Mine get the nasal shot about once a year, though it's been longer for the older dogs. The vets like to push it every 6 months especially since we are out at shows constantly, but Maddy had it once a long time ago, didn't pass it to Hudler and since then nothing. I'll get it done for them next time they are due for a shot or something, but I don't worry about it much.

labby is offline Senior Member

IMO its worthless. The last time I gave the vaccine, the dog who had the vaccine had kennel cough twice. The dogs that weren't vaccinated never got sick.

Laura

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    IMO its worthless. The last time I gave the vaccine, the dog who had the vaccine had kennel cough twice. The dogs that weren't vaccinated never got sick.
    Now that you say it. About a week after I gave to Mambo he got Kennel Cough. Guess its like the Flu shot. When I use to get one I always got the Flu. I have stopped taking them and havent gotten the flu

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    That's because kennel cough (bordetella) is an illness similar to the common cold or flu in humans. There are many "strains" of KC, just like there are different strains of the flu or cold in humans. The vaccine is for the most common strains.

Generally, we don't give a bodatella vaccine unless the dog is boarded at a kennel that requires it. KC is usually easily treatable and not a problem, aside from the rather annoying sound the dog is making as it coughs (or so the owners say).

This article from the University of Pennsylvania's Veterinary Hospital might be of interest to you, it's on vaccine protocols:
    http://www.vet.upenn.edu/schoolresou...ccination.html

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy