adpoting a puppy from local pound
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adpoting a puppy from local pound

booboo Guest

Defaultadpoting a puppy from local pound

Hi lablovers,
    Okay all of you who remember my FEAR of getting that 2nd dog for us and for Boomer we are adopting a female puppy from our local animal shelter. She is around 4-6 months of age, tan Labrador retriever mix. She is getting spayed today and available for adoption tomorrow. I found her on the their web site and went to look at her last Friday with one of my sons. She is so sweet and loving. She didn't act scared when we walked her past the growling barking dogs, no tail between the legs, no hair raised, no growling or barking. We got her outside in the play area and she ran free happy as can be. The worker let out a 3 year old male husky and she submitted by rolling onto her back and let him sniff her. A couple times he growled at her to let her know he didn't want to play and she didn't coward or growl back or hair raise or ran off, she backed off and then came back over to us. I thought personally that was a great trait in her. I wanted to find a female that I can bring home to Boomer and she would not fight with him or challenge him. I took my hubby to see her on Saturday to see what he thought of her. He fell in love with her. We spent almost 2 hours with her! She would run next to my hubby and look up at him as if saying are you still there. She would climb in his lap and give him kisses. She never barked when we had her outside and only barked a few times once we put her back in her cage, like saying hey where are you going without me. While we were outside and sitting down with her a worker let out a female dog who growled at us when we walked past her cage for a family to watch the dog outside. The dog ran right to us with her hair raised and the female puppy didn't bat an eye and stayed on my hubby's lap! She watched the other dog and then acted like she wanted to go to her to play but we kept them apart. They say she has a lot of lab mix with something they are not sure with. I took a picture of her but forgot how to put it on this web site. Maybe once my son gets up he will help me. She seems so mellow and so sweet. I have been praying and looking for such a long time for a female dog for us and for Boomer. I finally feel this is the one. Now I have to introduce them when I bring her home tomorrow, that is if I am the first one in line to adopt her! Their policy is first come first serve. I still my my fears, can't help it, I think it is just natural for me. I wasn't this way when I was younger, just getting worse as I am getting older sad to say! PLEASE keep us in your prayers and thoughts. To have this part over with will be such a relief. We have been looking for a female dog for about a year now. I can't stop thinking about her and wished we could of brought her home Saturday when we went there. In fact when we had to put her back in her cage with a new chocolate female lab-1 1/2 year old one, the older dog seem to be rough on her and alls I wanted to do was get her back out and take her home to protect her. She just gave us a look like get me out of here please. So if I am the first person there tomorrow morning we get her. Thanks for listening to all my questions all this time on getting that 2nd dog. you guys are great!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: adpoting a puppy from local pound

((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))
    ~Lindsay

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

What a sweet story. I hope you get your girl in the morning. It sounds like she'll fit right in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

That is a great story, thanks for sharing. Crossing my fingers, & toes that you will be the first in line to adopt her.

;D

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

It's so hard to wait... My best to you. She sounds like a perfect fit. Post the pic when you can.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Oh how hard to wait. A piece of all of us will be with you tomorrow as you wait for the doors to open!! Keep us posted and we want lots of pics.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, I really think you know when you've found the right one

It was that way with Simon. He won me over the first time we met. I went back and visited him about four times that week, and every time I got a little more attached. That weekend they were having a big adoption event, and as I walked out that Saturday, I realized I couldn't leave there without putting my name on him. What if someone else adopted *my* dog?? So I got back out of my car, walked back in and had them put a "hold" on his kennel. Hadn't even told Kevin yet.

Congratulations on finding the perfect one! She does sound very stable and even-tempered. I think she'll be an excellent match! I think it will help, too, to have one of the opposite gender. That's the only thing I might have done differently. But oh well, what can you do when you fall in love?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Oh how exciting! I hope you get her! She's sounds great.

Yayyy !!! Well done!

It sure sounds to me like you found the right girl. The traits you listed, are important ones and she has them. Good job!

I know the wait is killer, isn't it? Good luck tomorrow! Do you have everything prepared for her homecoming?

Thanks for saving a life !!!!! I'm sure she will be a perfect fit for your family !!!

Yeah !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast