toys

Thread: toys

Defaulttoys

I have a female black lab, she's 8 months now, we bought her from a breeder when she was 8 weeks old, my husband and I love her to death, but we have problems she gets bored easely, she has 2 Kongos which she chews for a few minutes and gets bored and reaches for clothes shoes, anything she can grab, the chewing problem would not be a problem...the problem is she chews, bites and EATS (swallow) everything, we've had to take her to the vets for throw up several times, so this causes a problem, does anyone know what other toys other than Kongo's she could play with without eating them.
    Thanks
    any help would be apreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

By Kongos, do you mean Kongs? Have you tried filling them with things and then freezing them? You can plug the small hole with a smear of peanut butter, then fill the inside with things like a little bit of unsweetened applesauce, plain yogurt, couple of treats, then top off with another little bit of PB. Stick them in the freezer and give them to her. With Abbey, she'll lick it until everything is gone.. sometimes 30-40 minutes. Some dogs also like Nylabones.

Do you leave her crated when you are not there or is she able to have free reign of the house? If she's eating these things when you're not there, you should consider crating her for her own safety.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Also, I know for mine, a little excercise works wonders. A walk, or some fetch.

Sometimes they just get bored, thats when I notice mine acting up.

About 8 months was when I got both of mine into obedience classes too. That helped alot!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When she's left alone she does fine, and we do not crate her now, we did until she became housetrained, now she's all over the house, and I do stuff her kong's with various things, she's fine while there's something in it, when its empty she looks for other things to do, I am sure toys would help I just don't know what kind cause she eats all toys that I buy.
    Last edited by nitemere; 04-24-2009 at 10:53 PM.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

How much exercise is she getting?

justine is offline Senior Member

In general, a tired dog is a good dog, so depending on how much exercise she's getting now, maybe try to increase it? Playing fetch, going for walks, etc...

Also, there are a lot of rubber toys out there that stand up to tough chewers a lot better. Abbey has a couple of Cuz toys.. they look like a rubber ball but have legs.. kind of weird but they squeak really loud and bounce well, which Abbey loves.

Does she have any Nylabones? They come in different sizes and flavors and a lot of dogs like to chew on them for a good while.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Exercise was going to be my suggestion too.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

blackjack is offline Senior Member

BJ eats cloth toys too. You can look for toys from Orbee or Planet Dog. They make a line of toys that BJ loves. You just have to check out the chew rating and make sure it is tough enough. http://www.planetdog.com/category.aspx?categoryID=46

His absolute favorite is the yellow ball. I use that in our chuk-it because he is not fond of fuzzy tennis balls. He will carry and retrieve this ball for hours. I did make the mistake of getting him one of the toys that looks like a christmas tree light - not rated for heavy chewers and he tore a chunk out of it and ate it in two minutes flat.

He also likes the nylabone toys for tough chewers some of which he has chewed to human puncturing sharpness. He really likes the knot and the galileo and he has very white toofies. http://www.nylabone.com/products/non...durable-chews/

You could also look for jolly balls. http://www.dogtoys.com/jollypets.html We have a couple of the hard ones with smaller balls inside - one smaller one for in the house and the big one for the yard. He also has one of the softer ones with a handle and he has punctured it more times than I can count and it is still inflated.

Hope this helps!

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart