Who can help me with supplement questions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who can help me with supplement questions?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultWho can help me with supplement questions?

1) I bought some cranberry pills to give Simon. They're in the car at the moment, so I don't remember dosage. Has anyone given these before? Can you give me an idea of proper dosage? These are people pills, but they are NOTHING but cranberry. No sugar, nothing else at all. Just cranberry.

2) I also got him some probiotics to help with the replenishment of flora. He's going to be taking Clavamox, which is, I understand, a broad-spectrum antibiotic. So, he'll need all the help he can get. The question is: The ones I got contain lactobacillus acidophilus and also bifidus. I know acidophilus is OK. Is bifidus OK for dogs as well?

3) I'm thinking about starting to give both boys glucosamine and/or chondroitin. Anyone want to give me the scoop on these? Do I need to give both? Where do you get yours? How much do you give? Do you take into consideration if those are present in their kibble?

Thanks again!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Who can help me with supplement questions?

Bear and Deacon get 500mg of Cosequin DS daily as a preventative. I believe Cosequin to be the gold standard in pet glucosamine. It costs more, but I know it contains waht is says it does and lesser brands my not. I think the Costco/Kirkland was also rated high as far as purity goes.

I use an acidolphilus (probiotic) that has about 12 of those in it ... all are okay. If you got at the healtfood store; I hope you got refrigerated; those are supposedly the best. If you have a Whole Foods nearby; they have a HUGE selection. I use whenever they take antibiotics (space about 4 hours apart) and I use for Zena since she likes to barf at night on occasion.
    The Gluc/Chon, I use the Costco Kirkland brand; all except Zoe and Jake get one 750mg pill (their food has 300mg in it; most foods only have about 40mg-100mg). Jake and Zoe get 2X day as Jake is 6-1/2 and Zoe...well, I'm worried she might have a problem; we're having xrays done in a few months.
    Never used the cranberry pills.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I don't know anything about the cranberry capsules, so I can't help you there.

My girls take probiotics on the advice of my holistic vet. The tablet I give them includes both probiotics you listed, along with several others. You can also give yogurt as a probiotic, as long as it is one of the yogurts with active cultures (Stoneyfield is a good brand). Sometimes I give my girls the probiotic tablets, other times they get yogurt. Do space out the probiotic and the antibiotic, or else your antibiotic will sort of cancel out your probiotic. Also, when Simon gets finished with his antibiotic course I would suggest giving him some extra probiotics, to get his system back in shape again. You do need to use refrigerated probiotics, as probiotics will not survive long at room temperature.

Both of my dogs are on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, although they each take a different one. Emma uses Cosaquin DS, which is highly recommended as the gold standard by many vets (mine included). Since Tess has had some lameness issues, she takes Synovi-G3, with includes MSM. My orthopedic vet recommends using a supplement with MSM when a dog has been symptomatic.

Dani is offline Senior Member

COnnie...I answered you about the Cosequin in your other thread...but for good measure...here is the link to the best deal out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ONLY-FRESH-C...QQcmdZViewItem
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Make sure you separate the probiotic and antibiotic by at least 4-6 hours. Otherwise they counteract each other.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    COnnie...I answered you about the Cosequin in your other thread...but for good measure...here is the link to the best deal out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ONLY-FRESH-C...QQcmdZViewItem
    I answered on the other thread also. I use the same EBAY man. Great service and price. Cosequin is the best, in my opinion, and I did a lot of research.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Thanks you guys. And thanks for recommending "that eBay guy" Seems like that's the best deal going according to everyone who's anyone

Labby, yep, I was planning to separate the probiotics and the antibiotics. As far as that goes, this couldn't have been better timing, because I'm off all next week.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

When we used to supplement cranberry, I bought which ever was on sale and gave one a day. It was usually about 500mg.

We don't do the probiotics.

As far as G & C, I buy the Kirkland (Costco) variety for humans. I have been through many different dog varieties and this seems to have a good rating for effectiveness and is cost effective too. You usually want to give something that's like 1500mg of G and 1200mg of C daily. If your dog HAS arthritis, you can also add 1500mg daily of MSM as it will help with pain.

I also supplement Glucoflex which has the perna green muscle in it. It's great for joint health.

We used to get SynoviG3 which has the G, C and MSM and the perna in it, but I am able to get what I buy for a bit cheaper, which is essential with 3 dogs and a tight budget.

Paola is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    1) I bought some cranberry pills to give Simon. They're in the car at the moment, so I don't remember dosage. Has anyone given these before?
    2) I also got him some probiotics to help with the replenishment of flora. He's going to be taking Clavamox, which is, I understand, a broad-spectrum antibiotic. So, he'll need all the help he can get. The question is: The ones I got contain lactobacillus acidophilus and also bifidus. I know acidophilus is OK. Is bifidus OK for dogs as well?

3) I'm thinking about starting to give both boys glucosamine and/or chondroitin. Anyone want to give me the scoop on these? Do I need to give both? Where do you get yours? How much do you give? Do you take into consideration if those are present in their kibble?

Thanks again!
    I give Mary cranberry pills - she gets 450 mg twice a day (she weighs about 65 lbs)
    Probiotics: it's ok with both - not sure if you have it in the US, but I use Enterophylus. It's specific for dogs, you have to refrigerate and it's very good. Space out from abx.
    G/C : the dosage is 25 and 20 mg/lb/day. And yes, you should give both. Personally, I'd suggest also using MSM - it not only is good for joints, it is good for skin/allergy issues.
    The amount of G/C in kibble is minimal and doesn't impact any supplementing you give (unless you're dealing with a diabetic). Excess dosage gets expelled in urine.
    You can buy Cosequin off ebaY at a good price - also check out healthypets.com they usually have good prices; Cosamin is also good quality. I'd suggest you investigate the G/C/MSM by Puritan (www.puritan.com) - it's very good quality, is independently tested and they usually have 3 for 2 special sales. I buy alot of supplements at Puritan (including the salmon oil, which I prefer to the Grizzly salmon stuff).

If you buy from Healthypets or Puritan (or any of our other affiliates), and link from the OSLF website (http://www.oslf.org/affiliates.htm ) the org gets a % on each sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast