Right or Left Legged

Thread: Right or Left Legged

DefaultRight or Left Legged

Does anyone know if does have a dominant side. Like right legged or left legged?

Can you point me any links on the subject.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Right or Left Legged

We have 2 Shih Tsu's who are left legged. They turn around just to get that left leg up, HIGH! I swear it is because my mother-in-law is left handed and she has the main care of them.

Eddie has no preference, he also does the horse thing, leaning forward when he is too lazy.....

Haven't thought about reading material though. Eddie didn't lift his leg until he was about 14 months old and we thought he was never going to do it, some dogs don't, then one day up it went.

I found this: Not really sure what they mean by steady a food container?? Do they mean move it around?

"Australian scientists discovered that some dogs are left-handed, some are right-handed and the rest are ambidextrous. Though it may sound trivial, this piece of info comes handy when training dogs for police work or as guide for the blind.*

According to the study, canines who use both left and right paws equally (known as laterality) are more likely to be upset by fireworks and thunderstorms. These makes them unsuitable as working dogs. By determining this preference, trainers will be able to weed out dogs most likely to flunk even before the training starts.

"Half the dogs that are selected for guide dog training don't make it and we're trying to reduce that failure rate because it is far from cheap," Paul McGreevy, an animal behavior expert at University of Sydney's Faculty of Veterinary Science.

To determine if a dog is right-handed, left-handed or exhibits laterality, observe them when they try to steady their food containers. Not that it matters to you. We're pretty sure that, as far as your concerned, your dog is the best dog in the world."

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

According to the study, canines who use both left and right paws equally (known as laterality) are more likely to be upset by fireworks and thunderstorms. These makes them unsuitable as working dogs.
    BS! Murray uses both paws equally. He has no issue with loud sounds like fireworks or thunderstorms and is one of the best working dogs around here. I'll have to try the test in the link that gerst001 posted but the way I've always known to do it is to see which way they turn when running. Most dogs will turn a certain direction a majority of the time (because of the lead leg they are on). Murray turns each way 50/50 which has made obedience training interesting to say the least. The dumbbell pick ups and the turn & sit for the go out were the most challenging because he didn't turn consistantly one direction but by no means did this prevent him from LEARNING. :