swimmer's tail/cold tail?

Thread: swimmer's tail/cold tail?

Defaultswimmer's tail/cold tail?

Has anyone experienced this with your lab? It appears Storm has this. I took her to the beach on Saturday and she was swimming and running for several hours. She was fine yesterday morning, running in the yard while I was planting some flowers. I went out to the store for about an hour and came back and she was panicked. She was shaking and submissive and wouldn't lift or wag her tail.

Being the overprotective mom I am, I took her to the emergency vet last night and they diagnosed her as having swimmer's tail and gave her some pain meds. It's become more obvious this morning that something is wrong with her tail, she bends it at a funny angle and it's clear she's in pain when she moves it. She's so quiet and lethargic. My poor baby just isn't doing well.

Anyone else experience this? Vet says it should be better within a few days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Manteo's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: swimmer's tail/cold tail?

Manteo got cold tail while we were at the beach one year. She was in a lot of pain for 2 days and wouldn't lift her tail or sit down. A couple of days later she was fine. Vet gave us pain meds too. Now I just pack some aspirin for her just in case. Hope Storm feels better soon.

here is a puzzler, Shiner woke up with the same thing this morning. And she hasn't been swimming anywhere. Go figure. We live in Houston, not much cold here. I don't know if it was cold tail for sure, but it sure 'looked' like it.

I gave her some pain meds and she seemed completely better in half an hour.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Along with the asprin, (make sure its buffered asprin) Labby suggested on an old thread a warm compress on the tail.
    Olie

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

Snicks has had it. There was really nothing we could do for her other than aspirin and keeping her comfy. It improved in a couple of days. I think it was about a full week before it was completely back to normal.

Hope you feel better soon, Storm!
    Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yep, my dogs have had it, but they have had cold tail due to bathing in warm water. Strange huh? they can swim in freezing ponds without a care in the world but get cold tail after a warm bath. Since then we can only bath them in cold water.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

sunshien had this in the summer of '05 - we drove home and hit the great lake of Superior numerous times on the drive and then she spent the next three days non-stop in the lake at our camp in northern Ontario. While it was July 1st weekend the lake is shallow and the weather miserable. She couldn't wag her tail and she kept giving us the what is wrong with me look. Mike thought her tail had been broken (lots of kids you just never know which one may have pulled it when we were not looking) so when we got home and it still had not corrected itself we went to the vet. He gave her a cortisone shot and it started to relax wihtin a day - we just had to keep her away from water for two weeks to let it heal up.

It hasn't happened since but she also hasn't had that much continuous access to water again. the last time I was watching for it to happen was spring of this year when we were at the beach on Lake ontario and it was cold! she still went in but she also came didn't linger like she does in tehwarmer months and even stopped running for the ball if it was in the lake - I think she knows when it has been enough.

the worst part is watching the poor sad puppy eyes!

Thanks all!* It makes me feel better that its relatively common.* I was feeling like the bad doggie mom that let her fur-baby get hurt.* The hardest part is seeing her in pain.* You can tell she's not herself, she usually wakes us up in the morning by jumping on the bed and licking us awake so that she can be fed.* This morning she just laid there and waited until I got up.*

Here's a pic of her on Saturday before all this came on.

Poor baby

[attachment deleted by admin]

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura