Pulling On Leash
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling On Leash

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultPulling On Leash

Tal pulled really bad when I first put his leash and collar on him but it seemed to get better. I do the tree thing but that doesnt work and when I try and use a treat he gets so carried away thinking he will get a treat I can't get him to focus on walking correctly.

I was trying to get him inside and he was pulling. I heard him gag and said there's gotta be a better way.

I have started to take treats out with me when I take him out and that will help. I'm gonna check out the training section but I thought I'd go ahead and ask again anyway to see what is working for you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

modgirlreporter Guest

DefaultRe: Pulling On Leash

We haven't figured out anything that works yet. I hate choke collars and Gigi, frankly, probably isn't bright enough to keep from simply choking to death if we tried that on her, and she pulls and yanks and gags and chokes every time we go out on a walk until she's worked off some excess energy. If you figure out something, tell me!

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

I know not everyone likes them, but I had the same issue with Lexi when I first got her.

I tried the stop when she pulled and resume walking when she'd give me slack in the leash, but that pretty much got us nowhere fast.

I did not want to, but finally gave in & switched to the prong collar. Let me tell you worked like a charm. Just the press of the prongs into her neck and she stopped pulling. I have actually stopped using it because she walks so nicely now. Though she still pulls a bit when we first start out, excitment.

Deb

My pretty girl, Lexi!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

At Tal's age I would think a cloth martingale would work best. I order mine from crazycollars.com.

What finally is teaching Cinnamon to walk nicely on a leash is her Ceasar Milan collar but I think Tal's neck is to small for one of those. What I like best about them is it keeps it high on the neck so she doesn't pull. I tried a gentle leader and didn't care for it. I found other than that a sensation or sensible harness worked until she got bigger. I have a medium you can try but I suspect it would be to big for him right now but if it would fit just PM me your address.
    http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

I just bought the Easy Walk Harness http://www.gentleleader.com/pages.cfm?id=74 and it has worked wonders with Sadie!!!!* Her walks were horrible because of all the stopping and gagging/choking she was doing.* We put the harness on her and she will walk so good and we only need to stop a couple of time.* I got mine at Petsmart, but have also seem them at the local pet food outlet too.

Thanks...I try to keep the collar up high on his neck but it always seems to slip down no matter what I do.

I thought there for awhile we were past this kind of thing...

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi was doing well, until we had to take some time off from our daily walk's when she was in heat- found that when we started back it was like she was starting leash training all over, only she weighs more and pulls harder- I started her on the gentle leader and it works wonderful with her- I find that I don't even have to use it everytime. She is getting better everyday---good luck with Tal

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    Sammi was doing well, until we had to take some time off from our daily walk's when she was in heat- found that when we started back it was like she was starting leash training all over, only she weighs more and pulls harder- I started her on the gentle leader and it works wonderful with her- I find that I don't even have to use it everytime. She is getting better everyday---good luck with Tal
    Thanks...It'll be ok I jus gotta find the right thing. But I don't wanna keep the choke thing going...I am afraid he will eventually get hurt or even damage something in his throat.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sounds like somebody needs training classes

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Keep doing the tree thing. And give him a treat and praise every time he walks along side of you. Don't give him too much leash. I used to walk Buck on a 4 foot leash. Still do sometimes.

When you stop wait for him to sit once he does that make sure he remains sitting till you are up next to him and then release him and try to keep him next to you with a lure ( treat and praises).

Keep doing this. It takes a good amount of practice and time to make them walk properly on a flat collar. Depending on the dog some take longer than others.

Some don't like the halti...so if Tal puts up a fight about it I'd go with a easy walk harness...the leash clips to the front (chest) and not the back. Even with this on he will pull but it will just be easier on your joints and his neck. Evetually you won't need the harness anymore.

Is Tal in any obedience training class? If not you should definitely look into one. At least take a class for 6 weeks. It's much easier when someone can show you how to train your pup than just reading about it. He should be ok to go to puppy kindergarten and such by the time he is 12 weeks old.

Hope this helps. Good luck!*

Oh...when you say he gets carried away when he knows you have a treat in your hand while walking...what does he do?? What kind of treats do you use??
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast