Food aggression in new addition to family ( Sorry long)

Thread: Food aggression in new addition to family ( Sorry long)

DefaultFood aggression in new addition to family ( Sorry long)

I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for me to help my bestfried. She rescued two lab pups last year so they are now 13 months and absolute sweethearts, one M & one F. Ruger and his two buddies have grown up together and can do anything together. Thursday my friends son went to a house to do a job and saw a very thin young F Golden tied to a very short chain and inquired. Apparently they never took heroff the chain, she has never been in the house, and their excuse was they didn't know how much energy she would have???? They asked David if he wanted her and of course he brought her home....... I saw her last night for the first time and she is a very CALM pup, she puts Ruger to shame. She has done very well in the house from the start, does her business outside, sleeps in my friends bedroom with her other two, and they play very well together. When it comes time for feeding, she will let Cindy touch her food and even take it away from her,but as soon as Abby or Casey comes near her she snaps at them and we are trying to figure out how to stop this behavior before it goes to far. I think feeding in a different room or different time would be hard as she runs her own business from home and is running out of space and time sometimes. Does anyone have a gentle but firm way to possibly help this?
    P.S. She was feed Old Roy dog food ( awful) and I think only when they remembered to do so, maybe thats why she is so thin and possessive of her food...........she is going to be beautiful when she fills out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Food aggression in new addition to family ( Sorry long)

Here are some things she can try.
    The dog needs to feel safe and know she will be fed, consistently.

Feed her separately, and in a quite place. Make sure there no other dogs around or kids. Just her and the owner.
    As soon as she is finished, pick the bowl up. Also, if she feels comfortable, offer the dog a few pieces of kibble from her hand. Because the dog shows no aggression to your friend and only to other dogs, I really think it's just a matter of time. Time for her to feel safe and secure in the fact that food is coming and will continue to come and she wont be hungry again.

She may even want to consult with a trainer, considering all this dog's been through. If the situation doesnt resolve itself, encourage her to hire a trainer. I wish your friend the best with her. Im so glad she took her out of the situation she was in.

budbud is offline Senior Member

I think the best thing to do would be to put her behind a closed door just for her feeding when we got Luke he would inhale his food then run over to Buddy and just eat his food so he went into the bathroom to eat and it was fine that way remember it only takes them a minute to eat he would then wait until I let him out for his treat and you may have to do this forever but its not a big deal
    good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

From the times I have volunteered in rescue shelters I noticed food aggression was quite common in rescues that have been neglected. Understandably so --they don't know when their next meal is coming. For all they know any meal they get is their last so they defend it by any means possible.

Because the dog shows no aggression to your friend and only to other dogs, I really think it's just a matter of time. Time for her to feel safe and secure in the fact that food is coming and will continue to come and she wont be hungry again.
    I agree with this good advice. Ask your friend to feed them separately for time being. She should also get the Golden onto a feeding regime so she knows roughly when the next meal is coming. If she knows she is due a meal twice a day this will reduce her anxiety at feeding time. It will take time for her to feel comfortable around food. Also, don't forget that your friend should be correcting her Labs for going near the Golden while she is eating...they should show some respect and stay back until she has finished. Just a verbal correction should do it.