We're planning to pick up our 8 week old puppy on Nov. 21st. I got a call from the breeder this morning telling us that our pup had to be taken to the vet yesterday because she was having trouble breathing & she's lost a few ounces & won't eat any food. The breeder also told us that she has swimmer's belly & that the vet found a respiratory infection similar to pneumonia in humans & she's now on some heavy duty antibiotics. We haven't actually seen this pup in person, just put a deposit on her when we found out the breeder had a yellow female. After losing a very sick dog 6 months ago, my gut instinct is telling me not to start off with a new puppy that's already experiencing health problems. The breeder told my husband that she would understand if we want to look at other breeders. What would you guys do? ???
Its hard to say.
What do you know about the parents of the dogs?
How are the puppies being cared for inside or out? around a lot of people or not?
Id be scared to get a that is already having troubles.
How old are the puppies right now?
They're 4 weeks old now....only 3 in the litter and they were a week premature.* The breeder keeps them in her house. The breeder assures me that everything should be fine & said her husband told her she shouldn't even call us & make us worry about the puppy, but I just don't think I feel comfortable bringing her home.* Something inside is telling me that we could be in for heartache & I just can't go through that or put my son through it after* we just lost Dakota 6 months ago.Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
What do you know about the parents.
The parents are both healthy & have great pedigrees. The mother was artificially inseminated & apparently the day the "specimen" was delivered it was 1o4 degrees the breeder said & one of her dogs had 3 pups & the other had none.Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
Id really have to think about it.
If you know their vet I would try contacting them and see what they say.
After losing 2 labs since Christmas of 05 I would have to think twice about a puppy that is ill at this time. The puppy might turn out to be a great little dog but my heart strings would tell me no that I couldn't take it again.
The thing is all puppies/dogs need homes.
I really hope someone else can give you some good advice on what to do.
Poor little Brinkley I hope she is feeling better soon.
I think I would not be in a hurry to make a descion yet.....the breeder isn't pressing you to make one is she? You still have a few weeks until she is due to come home with you, so maybe waiting to see how well she recovers from this illness would be a good option. Do you already have a vet you trust? Could you have a chat with them about prognosis, recovery, on going problems etc?
Won't someone please feed me!
I would go with your gut instinct.* In my experience, it is rarely wrong.*
If you are really hesitant, then just hold off on this one and find a nice yellow girl somewhere else.* They're definitely out there.* The people you'd be getting her from are at a point where they'd understand as breeders, and who knows what long-term problems she may face if her newly-developing lungs end up with scar tissue or anything else as a results of the infection.* *Pneumonia is not a good thing, especially in a 4 wk-old puppy.
I'm with you...after a recent loss still so fresh in your minds, I would try to start off with as healthy of a puppy as possible for everyone's sake.* This little girl won't go "homeless" with reputable breeders, so you wouldn't have to feel guilty...she just may have to stay with them for a while.*
Good luck with whatever you decide! It isn't an easy decision, by any means.
~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon
I agree...your gut is never wrong.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
Deff. take the time to think about it. I would talk to the breeder and tell them what you are up against, with the other 2 passing away, and your son and all that. They should understand, and if they are pressuring you, they aren't the right breeder for you. I hope this baby is okay anyway and that you find the right lab for your family forever!