Dog Playing/Fighting

Thread: Dog Playing/Fighting

DefaultDog Playing/Fighting

Hi. I'm fairly new to the forum and a first-time dog owner of an almost 10 month old yellow male. I think this might be a stupid question, but I'm really curious.

So, we were just outside for a walk and dakota met a little puggle and they were playing really nicely (running, play bows, bitey face, etc). Anyway, this black lab mix came over and the owner was paying NO attention (he was on the phone) and the dog was a first play barking - I think - but then the sound changed and he was growling and it didn't sound friendly to me anymore. I pulled dakota out to the side and had him sit by me about 10 or so feet from the other dogs. The puggle owner asked the guy if the dog's bark was friendly and he was like "oh yeah" but I don't think he had any idea what he was talking about. The dog was growling and barking in a low, unfriendly sounding way.

Ok, so on to my question - Is it bad for dakota for me to pull him out of dog play when I sense one of the dogs is becoming agressive? Like, will it make him scared or anything? He's realy already a very submissive dog...

Thanks for helping with my probably dumb question!

Chrissy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Playing/Fighting

You are doing the right thing to keep him safe from aggressive dogs. He would be more scared/timid if he got beat up by another dog. Dakota depends on you to keep him safe.

Kathryn Guest

Its hard to say what was really play or mean with no being there.
    If I couldnt tell I would have pulled my dog and went some place else. you did there right thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

You need to look at the posture of a dog as well. Were the ears back? taking a really firm stance? You will learn to tell the difference, but I think what you did was the right thing. Better to be safe and be sure. Just don't let your anxiety of the situation show in your voice and your dog shouldn't be affected if you call him back to you.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Its better safe then sorry. My two play bitey face and sometimes I can not tell if they are playing or fighting. I will get up to quiet it down and they both look at me and say we are cool whats up with you? With a strange dog I would have done the same thing as you did.

If your dog is submissive and won't defend himself I wouldn't let him play with an agressive dog.
    Olie