Someone please tell me I'm not crazy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone please tell me I'm not crazy.

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

DefaultSomeone please tell me I'm not crazy.

I have to constantly argue with my mother, not to let the dogs off leash in the yard.* We live on a busy road in route to a Hospital. Ambulance ally I know they would not risk wrecking that rig for a dog in the road.* I have a kennel outside and will put them in it for a little while mostly so they can not help with sweeping or mopping the floor. She lets Zoey loose in the yard to walk in the house off leash.* Ok Zoey does fine and for the most part comes in. However she will chase the cat which scares me if its not my cat what if it goes in the road.* Then she wants to let Dakota loose in the fields out back.* To me this is like letting a meth addict have free roam in a meth lab.* Dakota does come when called but not all the time if he runs a deer a hunter has the legal right to shoot him, and hunting season it getting close. Mom thinks I'm to uptight. Maybe so but I would rather be cautious then heartbroken.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Someone please tell me I'm not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1scottie1labby
    To me this is liking letting a meth addict have free roam in a meth lab.
    *giggle*
    ~Lindsay

Kathryn Guest

Your not crazy I am the same way. I don't let my girls run free in the front yard for the fear of getting hit by some teenager who's driving 100 times to fast. We only take the girls to fields that we know arnt going to be hunters or people shooting guns for fun.
    I feel for you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My Lil Lab Kaycie is offline Senior Member

lol, YOU'RE NOT CRAZY! Kaycie is never off the leash around our house. The only place she is off leash is at my parents, or daycare, or in our house lol.

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

You are NOT crazy, you're being a responsble dog parent. You just never know what can happen, even in your own yard. Sundance is very good about staying around us generally, but I won't let him off leash for a second outside of our fenced area. I'm afraid that would be the one moment he decides to bolt across the street to greet a cat/another dog, or whatever.

As you said, it's better to be cautious than heartbroken.

If I were you, I'd keep standing your ground with your mom.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I don't think you are crazy at all...caring yes...crazy no. I do similarly with Tal. Some have said since he has had three rounds of shots he is ok to take out. Maybe I am being overprotective but until he has his next and final round of initial shots I will not take him to a place where there are unknown dogs. Or people either for that matter.

It is better to be wise and careful...and I think you are doing just that!

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Nope not crazy!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Think about putting up a fence for Zoey.

Mom gets huffy with and say's I can't wait untill you have kids. You are going to be over protective of them too. Well I would like to think my child could reason with age level. Stove hot not going to touch it again. If I could explain to my dogs like the guy in Karate kid no going in the road get squashed like grape, and they got that. Then fine I will take their leashes off have at it. Untill then thay are tied to me.

I rent this house and it has a 3/4 around the property 6 ft stockade fence. If they would let me I would finish the fence off and end the debate. I have thought about chain link fencing a portion so they could run and act like goons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast