Bob PR

Thread: Bob PR

DefaultBob PR

Bob could you please post the name of those dog medical, first aid books that you recommend? Thank you. And any other books you think are good for a first time dog owner. I really appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bob PR

They're in the "Our Best Advice" sticky in the Puppy/Training forum, if I'm remembering right.....

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

It's in the Our Best Advice thread

Dog Owner's Veterinary Guide (something like that)
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks a lot, I totally forgot about that thread. I want to print that out and add it to labby's puppy book, which is really good enough to be published.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bob Pr's recommendations

Here's a copy (slightly revised) of that post with an addendum:

Re: Our Best Advice
    « Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »
    Asking for health advice on the internet is NOT a great substitute for having a good reference guide.

Hence:

Giffin & Carlson, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook," 3rd edition, 2000, 570+ pp, $30 list, $25 Amazon (US$). It includes a useful 44 page chapter on emergencies and first aid but it primarily covers all health and development areas and body systems from birth to old age. This book saves worry, money from vet bills, and your dog's health; it repays its price many times over. Every dog should come with one; every dog owner should refer to it whenever needed.

Bruce Fogle, "First Aid for Dogs: What to Do When Emergencies Happen" 1995. 200+pp. $10 (US). Extremely useful in emergencies -- many decision trees of symptoms to check and conditions that are ruled out or in, what to do temporarily, the urgency of vet care, very clear illustrations.

It's hard for me to to imagine a more useful guide for emergency canine first aid than Fogle's

Unfortunately, this book may now be out of print. However, you should be able to pick up a used copy in good condition (maybe $3?) from Amazon's list of alternate suppliers and the S&H will be a few pennies more..

Fortunately, the last time I looked at Amazon Fogle's book was again available new.* Possibly it's being reprinted

I also highly recommend Dr. Patricia McConnell's "The Other End of the Leash" as well as the inexpensive booklets she has on Separation Anxiety, Feisty Fido, etc., for specific dog problems.* She is an absolutely cutting edge skilled professional behaviorist (therapist) in what she recommends.

All these are available from her website:* http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/books-retail.php

For a book on dog training, I recommend Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash" This gives protocols for training dogs on many different actions.* Some people find this book written with kind of an "in-your-face" uppity attitude* -- and I'd agree but it doesn't detract too much from translating sound learning principles into user friendly recipes for dog training.* She focuses on operant (Skinnerian) and classical (Pavlovian) conditioning but there are some worthwhile learning principles other than these that she doesn't explain (if I remember right, generalization, transfer of training, spontaneous recovery, e.g.) but I know of NO other book that handles so much dog trainer oriented learning principles as well.* Amazon has it.

If you're interested in some of the latest scientific findings on dogs (up to 1995), "The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behaviour and Interactions with People"* (James Serpell, editor) has 17 chapters with 31 expert contributors in all.* This appears to me to be written at an undergraduate (Fr, Soph) introductory level. All but a couple chapters will be readable by most lay people.* You might have your local public library order this for you on interlibrary loan so you can scan it for a bit to see if you find it worthwhile enough to buy.

Also worth looking at (maybe use IL Loan again?) is Scott & Fuller's "Genetics and the Social Behavior of the Dog"* Arguably, this is THE most important scientific book on dogs ever written.* It summarizes their longitudinal study of several generations of 5 species of dogs.* Almost all of it is quite readable by lay people.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748