Anyone else have this issue?

Thread: Anyone else have this issue?

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone else have this issue?

My Buck has two main problems. 1) He jumps on people (working on fixing the issue..made huge progress but not there yet). 2) He's still pretty mouthy (gnaws and chews on me) with me especially when he is extremely excited.

well my question is about the jumping. He he doesn't really jump when he is off leash. So when we have people coming to our house he will run over the check them out but he won't jump. Once in a while he will but it's not as bad.
    However, say we are on a walk and someone comes up and greets us. He tends to jump up more.

Can someone enlighten me as to why when he is on leash he is more apt to jump than when he isn't???

Is it just him or have others noticed this about their labs??
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone else have this issue?

Emma is a big time jumper when she wants to greet someone. My mom keeps treats at the front door and asks anyone who comes in to not even look at Emma, pet or talk to her, until she sits nicely and settles. She has them turn their backs on her and ignore her. It is slowly working.
    I think maybe on a leash your dog feels restrained a little more so they jump. I would just step on the leash so they couldnt jump and say down, no jump.

Kathryn Guest

Id say IF you see some one coming your way or you know someones gonna be coming slip the leash under your foot and stand on it at the point that he has enough leash to stand upright but cant jump. as that person and coming our way give treats and "no jump" or whatever you use. he wont be able to jump.
    My trainer had us all slip the leash under our foot when in stand still and someone was walking by.
    It worked really good for us.
    Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    Id say IF you see some one coming your way or you know someones gonna be coming slip the leash under your foot and stand on it at the point that he has enough leash to stand upright but cant jump.* *as that person and coming our way give treats and "no jump" or whatever you use.* he wont be able to jump.*
    My trainer had us all slip the leash under our foot when in stand still and someone was walking by.
    It worked really good for us.
    Good luck!

That's what I do. But I noticed this makes him want to jump up more. Being on the street of course I can't just let go of the leash. So, yeah I just stand there with foot on leash...atleast he gets the hint faster than he used and stops being a JRT... Sounds like this is the best way to continue doing things.

Thanks for the replies guys
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3