Truck Beds - Any advice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Beds - Any advice?

DefaultTruck Beds - Any advice?

Hello! I am new to this board. I have a 1yr old lab. Can someone tell me if you lab can get sick from riding in the back. We are having to take an emergency trip out of town, driving about 5 hours to San Antonio, then stopping for the night and another 4 hours to Harlingen. My mom is riding with us along with my son in his car seat; Lady (my lab) is not used to long trips, but we don't want to leave her behind. I have a crate, but just do not know if she can get sick from being in the back. I know we would stop to take a break, just worried about her. I hope this is not a silly question, but can she get an ear ache from too much air?? Has anyone traveled with their lab in the back?

Thanks!

(Was advised to start a new thread!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Truck Beds - Any advice?

Anyone?? We are leaving around 5pm!

Thanks!

Kathryn Guest

Your best bet is to keep the dog IN the truck.
    It is illegal in some states-cities to have a dog in the back of the truck at all!
    If you can't have the dog in the truck Id say find someone to watch the dog for you or call a (I hate to say it) kennel, or your vet and see if they can watch the dog till you get back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

If she has traveled well to the vet and shorter trips, I would think she would be OK on a longer trip as well.

However...

It is really not safe to leave her unsecured in the bed of a pickup truck. If you have to suddenly slam on your brakes, she could be projected like a missile out of the back of the truck. If you have a plastic Vari-Kennel type crate you could tie it down with some bungee cord. We do that sometimes with Angus, but have only done it for short trips.

But, it doesn't sound like there's time for you to get this if you don't have it.

I think I would vote for having someone watch her, or kenneling her while you are away.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Do you mean having her loose in the back of a pick up truck? if so, no way. You are risking your dogs life by doing so.

Can you not keep her inside the truck? it is so much safer and if you are already worried it will give you a piece of mind.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

She probably has a truck like mine ... regular (not extended) cab, short box... meaning, if there are already 3 people in the front, there is no room for anything else. We usually take the dogs in the car, but have fit two adults and two dogs in our pickup. One dog gets the floor. (Short trips only, and I'd never put them in the back, even in a crate)

We do have a kennel for her that we plan on taking with us anyways. So she would be riding in the kennel. I normally have her in the the truck with us, but due to the emergency, my mom is riding with us, who refuses to get in the truck with her. So, I am stuck with loving my Lady and not wanting her in the back, but knowing that my mom needs to go with us.

I know I have seen dogs in the back in kennels on trips, but I was wanting to know if anyone has had any illness come from that or known of. I know it is not the best place for a dog; due to the fact that if you get in an accident.

Thank you all for your responses! I may just look into a taking her to a kennel.

Kathryn Guest

We would all rather see you take her to a kennel. Its much safer and you wont have to worry.
    I can say that I wouldnt wanna ride in the back of a truck goind down the road and I dont think your mom would either. If theres no way to get her to agree to let the dog in the truck have her taken to a kennel please!

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I'll add that when I was a foolish teenager, I rode in the back of a pickup truck on a busy highway :P and it was very scary! 'Course, I was loose in the back, not in a crate, but even so, your pup might find it frightening on such a long trip. Unless you had a way of covering the crate to keep the wind and sun/rain out?

Kathryn Guest

Jan I don't think that would help much. Its more movement than anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast