VERY sad!! Cut Thor's quick! Help!

Thread: VERY sad!! Cut Thor's quick! Help!

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

DefaultVERY sad!! Cut Thor's quick! Help!

I was just trying to cut Thor's nails, and he moved his paw right as I cut...talk about BLOOD everywhere!!!! I feel so bad!!! :'( I cut it pretty bad and now he's got a sock with baking soda in it. My poor baby! I gave him a knuckle bone to chew on! Anything else I can do??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: VERY sad!! Cut Thor's quick! Help!

Unfortunately, no there's nothing else you can do. As long as the bleeding has stopped he should be fine. You might want to mess with his foot occasionally today (touch and hold it). Sometimes a dog will not let you touch his foot/nails after he has been injured which can make future nail trimming a real chore. Do not act like "poor baby, let mommy see your foot". Be matter of fact. "I AM going to touch your foot and you WILL let me."

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

It is always sad when a pup gets nicked when getting his nails done. They sure do produce a lot of blood! I second Lydia's advice that you proceed as usual and be firm about insisting you have access to Thor's feet.

Poor Thor.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

what if it's still bleeding?? like i said, i cut it pretty bad! <=(

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

oh man! I did that to Buck once. Blood everywhere. It happened at night and stopped after 2 hours of baking powder and several socks. He slept fine overnight and then in the AM when he walked to go outside to do his business it started to bleed all over

I took him to the vet..they cauterized (sp) it. But by the time I got to the vet it had stopped bleeding.

Make sure he doesn't put too much pressure on it...so no running walking and rough housing for 24hours. If it's still bleeding badly I'd just go to the vet.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Be aware that it can take several applications of stipic powder (or flour orcorn starch in a pinch) to get the bleeding to stop. It doesn't mean they are going to bleed to death though. If it is bleeding profusely and you cannot get it stopped, then go to the vet.