Those of you with 2 labs....a couple of questions please?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those of you with 2 labs....a couple of questions please?

DefaultThose of you with 2 labs....a couple of questions please?

We're thinking of getting another. I know that 1 on 1 time with a new puppy's important, for bonding and training, but here's my questions.....

What, if anything, would you do differently, in bringing a new puppy into the household with your lab and yourselves, and what, if anything, would you not do, knowing what you know and have experienced?

Thanks for any responses

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Those of you with 2 labs....a couple of questions please?

I am interested as well
    ~Lindsay

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Good questions! Looking forward to reading the responses.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have no regrets really. because Gus is such a great dog and is so well mannered. that he is and was a great support system in training Woodrow. I am sure there are some down falls but I really can't think of any.

I hope someone else might help you out more.

This is Gus one thing I would do. Go on alot more walks with mom one and leave little shit at home to sleep.

I wanna know too

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think I would give more thought to how much more expensive it is. Don't know if I'd do anything different because of this (probably not), but it is something that I really wasn't fully prepared for.

I would also do a better job of discouraging competitive behaviors from the beginning. I might also have tried two of different genders, towards this same end. There is quite a bit of snarkiness around our house that I wish I didn't have to constantly manage.

I think fostering would be the ideal way to see if two were going to get along. The Humane Association suggested I bring Angus in to see if he and Simon would get along. Silly. First of all, neither of them are going to be truly themselves in this environment. Secondly, it takes longer than half an hour to make a good assessment whether you've got a good match. For me anyway. Maybe there are some experts out there who could tell more quickly.

I strongly agree that one-on-one time is very important, not just while training but throughout. I can really tell a difference in the boys' behavior when they are not getting enough (more often than I like to admit :-[ )

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I think the one on one time is probably the most important.* Also, loving each dog as an individual.* They are not the same dog.* They will not behave the same, train the same, etc.

The good thing about bringing a puppy in when there is an older dog is that the puppy learns very quickly from the older dog.* The 4 mth old foster we had for a few weeks* learned how to the use the doggy door in 1 day because she copied Murray's every move...when he slept, she slept, when he went potty, she went potty.* Essy was 14 mths old when we got her and she also picked up the doggy door thing within just a couple of tries.* Of course they can learn bad habits just as quickly.*

Biggest lesson I learned...just because one dog has earned free roaming priviledges does not mean the other one has.* Essy is crated during the day because she can't seem to stay out of trouble.* Murray is loose in the house because he usually just sleeps all day anyway.* Neither dog seems to care.* Essy eagerly goes in her crate when we leave and she's just laying there looking at us when we come home.

One other thing...don't count on them being able to tolerate the same food. I have to buy 2 different foods for mine because they can't tolerate the other's food.

Finnigan is offline Senior Member

We tried to do a rescue (not a lab) with Sunshine and we tried to get ahold of our local lab rescue as I think that may have worked but they just didnt' get back to us for about a month and by then we found a puppy. We went back to the same breeder and we got a full sibling puppy. We brought Sunshine out with us and let them play together in the yard before jumping in the car (three hour drive).

Since Sunshine tends to be a bit more dominent we figured we would be best in getting a male and I think that was the right thing to do. We made sure she still had alone time with one of us on a regular basis until she was fully accustomed to the idea that the little ball of fur wasn't leaving (she really didn't like when I brought out the crate the night before - she never liked the crate) Plus puppy couldn't do the dog park until he had all his shots, that helped also to let he know she wasn't being replaced.

The only thng I would probably do different now is to separate them a bit more so they are not so totally reliant on each other. i think Sunshine would be fine if Finn were gone but i think it would be hell if it were the other way around. we have considered letting Sunshiengo to a friend house for a sleep over or vice versa but haven't had the chance to do it. They are okay but even walking they have to be beside each other - at the dog park if I call one name both come running.

As for expense Sunshine was out of her crate and it was put away so the only added expense was the yearly and neutering and the food. It really hasn't been too much more for us unless of course you take into account tha twe paid 800 dollars for the rat poison incident that would not have happened if we hadn't got Finn : He is just so opposite her in personality ........

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

It's hard to answer and I'm not sure there is a good answer. I have always had more than one dog at a time, and their personalities are as different as human personalities. It's therefore difficult to predict how they will interact. The main reason I want more than one at a time, is so they have each other's company and someone to play with when I can't be with them. So it's important to me that they bond and get along well. Most do immediately, but all do in a short time.
    I would guess that Tucker would love a little bro or sis. (Isn't he about 2YO?) That's how old Mitzi was when I brought Judy home. Mitzi loved her immediately, and I love their relationship. They always want to be together and look out for each other. They are not jealous, although Judy is jealous of Duke and tries to push him away from me. They can eat out of the same bowl without fighting or growling. I think Mitz sees herself as a mother to Judy (and Duke too). She fusses over her, and protects her whenever I scold Judy.
    I believe the second is easier to train because they imitate the older one.
    The down side is double vet and food bills, and less room in bed.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

The most important thing I would pass on is to make sure each dog has an opportunity to do things on his/her own with you. Jacob and Aly are waaayyy to bonded (jealous?) and, although I have worked on the issue, I still can't bring one of them somewhere (vet, dog training) without the other having a nervous breakdown. They just DON'T have the ability to be independent, and I know that I am responsible for this problem because for their first few years together, they did EVERYTHING together. They just don't know how to be apart.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast