Poor pictures, great story (Tatum update) - Long
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor pictures, great story (Tatum update) - Long

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoor pictures, great story (Tatum update) - Long

As many of you know, back in June we rescued Tatum from Dani’s CMLR.* To say that Tatum is frightened and skittish would be an understatement, and although her main issue is interaction with humans, she has always been socially awkward with Jacob and Aly, too.*

She is still extremely skittish around DH and me, but we are making progress.* Our ability to communicate with her is improving daily.* She will sit and permit us to take her collar off of her, rather than make us chase her around the house until she is cornered.* She knows what we mean when we say we are approaching her to pet her, and sits and lets us do that, too.* She goes to the back door when she needs to go out, and comes within viewing distance when we call her name (she still won’t come within arms’ reach, though).

The first few weeks of autumn have brought with them a new temperament for Tatum on the social front.* She has begun to express a preference for some things rather than just sit by and take whatever is happening (lucky us?).* She has started to not want to be in her crate, and although she will go in there on command, she is clear that she would rather not.* For example, when we announce that all dogs need to “go into the dinning room” (where they are gated while we are gone), she will run in there and sit on J&A’s beds rather than run straight for her crate.* She is also super cute at night when the dogs get their night time snack.* Each dog must perform tricks to get their treats, and she does her “sit” and “shake” and “lie down” just like J&A to get hers.*

I posted a few weeks ago that I was worried that Tatum wasn’t getting enough to drink because she would only drink in her crate and we had to lock her out of it when we were home so that she wouldn’t hole up in there 24/7.* Well, now that she doesn’t really want to spend time in there, and would rather lie in the living room, we are able to keep the crate open.* She goes in there for water when she wants some but doesn’t spend all her time in there.*

She has also started to play with J&A.* This new side of Tatum has been a joy to discover.* She initiates play quite often and enjoys playing with toys, too.* She won’t fetch, and hates having toys thrown her direction, but if a toy is lying in the grass, she will go to it and throw it around and pounce on it.* So cute!

I have some picture that I want to share, but they are not very good.* They are the best I can do, however, and I hope you will all enjoy them for what they convey rather than the lack of skill with which they were taken.* * I suppose only others who have rescued an abused animal can appreciate the miracle that is reflected in these pictures, but I assure you it is a miracle, indeed.

Tatum initiates play:

You can’t catch me!

Playing ring around the tree:

Jacob wisely tries to stay out of the way:

Tatum with a toy:

I really want to get a good picture of all three of them together, but am having no luck.

Okay, on three everyone smile.* One…two…um…hey guys?* Over here!* Guys?

Thanks for reading my novel.*

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Poor pictures, great story (Tatum update) - Long

That is awesome, it seems that she has come a long way. Good luck with future progress.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I love the pictures... especially the last one and the caption

I'm really happy that things are improving steadily for you all. I remember when you were having doubts about whether she could get over these things.
    ~Lindsay

This post made me smile! Super congrats to you for the job you are doing with her. She's a lucky girl!!!!!!!!!!

Frances

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I had tears in my eyes reading Tatum's update and seeing those pictures. It's wonderful that she has started to initiate play with the others! It's amazing when you start to see other sides of them and when you see that they have let go of their fears, even if it's just a little. Every time Brigetta has even the smallest breakthough, I feel overwhelmed with joy. I look forward to the next Tatum update.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

So sweet! This really made me smile!!

I know what a struggle it's been with Simon in a lot of ways. I don't know for sure if he was abused, but I don't think he had the greatest life before us. Doesn't it make you feel just unbelievable, to think you have improved their circumstances!

Tatum and Simon are coming around

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Tatum's progress reports always bring tears to my eyes. What an incredibly long way she has come, and what an incredible job you are doing with her. You are an incredible soul to have adopted her and give her the love and the home she has now. It's amazing to see them change as they grow more comfortable.

And your pics are brilliant, they show the message perfectly.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I love stories with happy endings!!! I love the pictures too.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to hear Tatum is coming out of her shell. It sounds like you've been doing a great job with her. Keep up the good work!

Nice pics and captions, too.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast