Semi-new; important dog bite question (long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-new; important dog bite question (long)

DefaultSemi-new; important dog bite question (long)

I used to post on here a long time ago (1 year? 2yers?) and then when school became a pain in the butt, I stopped and just lurk every now and then.

Well this is the only place I knew to come for help. I need advice on a certain situation.

8 days ago, my idiot pitty-something (found her in a ditch at what the vet guessed was ~3-4 weeks old, not sure what else she has in her but shes not a PB) and Dane got into it over a stupid toy. Dane said "no" when pitty wanted the toy, and pitty didn't like that answer so when she tried to take the toy, the Dane snapped at her and that escalated into a really big arguement. Complete with blood all over my bedspread, carpet, walls, etc. Learned my lesson: no more playing with toys together, only in crates/play pens; no bones etc. to fight over. This hasn't ever happened when they were just out together, nothing to argue over. This is relevant to this board because I have a lab (reason I used to post here to begin with); she was just the smart one and went into her crate when this started.

That said, I tried to break it up since I didn't want them to fatally hurt each other (at this point there were already holes in both dogs, was trying to prevent more injury) I ended up having to choke the one that wouldn't let go until she was out of breath, but one of the first things I tried to do was to grab collars/ears/skin and pull apart. Reaching for collars, one of them let go and chomped down again. They meant to get the other dog but tagged my middle finger in the process. I didn't have anything to slip into eithers mouth to break them apart, dane finally let go, and I was laying on the pit. Yelled at the Dane and she stayed away.

Went to the ER after putting dogs in crates. They told me that even though the dogs were UTD on shots and that they were MY dogs, and it wasn't an unprovoked or vicious attack on me, they had to call Animal Control. The nurse said they would just want shot records. WRONG. They seized my dogs and shut them in rabies quarantine for 10 days. I can't touch them, but can go see them. Once was enough for me when I heard my pitty screaming as I walked away, and the Dane was crying. They won't eat, either. Treats or dog food, just sat there crying the whole time I was standing in front of them.

Since AC were telling me I had to have them in quarantine by 5PM (it was 4PM when I got home) I rushed them to the vet while my finger was still numb, and they kept the Dane in quarantine overnight and stiched her up, then AC came and took her the next day. Pitty was checked out and released, so I had to take her to the pound that afternoon.

My question is this: Since these were MY dogs; I knew their personal histories, they bit ME and not some other person, and I initially told AC that I wouldn't release them, what right did they have to take them? They said they'd seize and euthanize them if I didn't. I was being a little irrational and crying and I'm sure the veiled implication that I would hide them didn't go over well either. They are charging me $125 each to quarantine them (shelter kennels, they feed them 2x's a day and the dogs stay in there and don't leave) and since I'm beng forced to do this, I want to know where it says so. This happened in Texas. This nightmare is almost over with, I get my dogs back Friday but I'm just curious as to how the state sees animals. Are they property or? If so, I want to know the grounds they have for seizing them when I didn't have an issue with the accidental bite.

I'm asking only because I'm not familiar with the laws, and the person I need to speak with at the Health Dept. apparently doesn't exist since nobody can give me a straight answer.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Semi-new; important dog bite question (long)

I can't believe that they can quarantine a dog who is up to date on rabies shots when no one has pressed charges. You may want to ask a lawyer what the law is in your state. You have a more serious problem than the temporary loss of your dogs. It sounds like they are capable of killing each other. You need to get a professional trainer/behaviorist to determine if they can ever be kept together. If not, you need to either re home one of them or find a way to keep them separated ALL THE TIME.
    I hope you and your dogs feel better soon.

Already being taken care of as far as the behavior issues go. Worst case scenario, my mother would take the Dane to keep hers company (she secretly wants her anyways.) As much as it would kill me to do that, if it's best for them I would.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Something smells amuck. In most states the choice is up to the person who owns the dog. Either you have AC hang onto dogs for 10 days or you keep dogs yourself in quarantine. I'd contact a lawyer.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I googled Texas Dog Bite Laws and came up with these. Hopefully they will help.
    http://texasdoglawyer.com/zandra.htm
    http://www.dogbitelaw.com/#dogowners
    There were others too try searching for it maybe you'll find some others.

Hmmm...sounds fishy to me.* When one of my Rotties bit my husband during a dog fight (fight between my dog and a foster), AC was notified and the dog was quarantined...at home.* We had 2 home visits from AC. I'd be speaking to a lawyer PDQ.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Wow. Scary! This is really making me rethink what I might do if one of the dogs ever accidentally bit me. Might be better to say it was a strange dog who then ran away, and suck it up and take the rabies shots myself to avoid A/C trying to take my dogs.

I'm with the others, you should call an attorney. That just doesn't seem right. I wonder if it's because one of them is a Pit mix. You know how reactive people are about those. :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Samson is offline Senior Member

That stinks

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

I can't believe that they can quarantine a dog who is up to date on rabies shots when no one has pressed charges.
    This is definitely the case in California. When Ronan (my Akita/Lab mix) bit one of my friends, she did not press charges, but the law here dictates that if someone seeks medical attention due to a dog bite, the hospital must alert Animal Control. In California, the owner is allowed to quarantine the dog on his/her own property, but big nasty signs are posted on the house.

Wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer. I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like a difficult situation.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Thanks for all the advice It's been a nitemare (and really quiet at home). BUT I get them back tomorrow, and have called a friend who is a lawyer (though he deals mainly with family law) and called/e-mailed a few others. Lets see what they have to say. I've got to be up late tonight and tomorrow at the library; I'll try to post an update if I hear anything and/or give an update on how the pups are settling back in.

IF (and I pray there never is) theres a next time: I got cut on rusty metal. They'd clean it out/do the same thing they did to me this time. If it had been a viscious attack, it would be different. I'd sell them to the Chinese food place down the street (kidding!).

Thanks and Gig Em from an Aggie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast