Simon is being very naughty lately

Thread: Simon is being very naughty lately

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSimon is being very naughty lately

:

As you know, we haven't been crating him. He pitched a fit about it while we were gone, ripped the wicker crate we had for him to shreds, and I was afraid he'd become so agitated he might hurt himself while we weren't there. I reasoned, he has been very good about leaving our things alone. Why not just baby gate him in the kitchen?

:

Last week he ate a chair rung off my husband's grandmother's kitchen table. Today, he counter-surfed and got my brand new hairband that I showed Angus in on Sunday. I loved that headband. Now it's toast.

Sigh.

At least he didn't *eat* it, he just chewed a nice hole in it and ripped out the hem.

I don't know what to do about that boy. He seems to be getting worse instead of better with age. I guess this was a lesson in keeping the counters picked up.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Simon is being very naughty lately

Sounds like he's bored and lookin' for something to keep him busy : Lucky you! Does he get much exercise before you leave for the day?

Paula is offline Senior Member

Did you see my "Bad Dog"" post? I don't know what the heck got into Lily thias morning.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

He's jealous since Angus got letters after his name!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    That cracked me up!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, he's getting *some* exercise, but apparently not enough : Kevin takes them for a walk first thing, then they get to chase each other around the backyard for, oh, I guess about an hour and a half before we leave for work.

He has also taken to coming into the office when I'm on the computer and banging his chin down on top of my mouse hand until I notice him. I actually think this is kinda cute. It reminds me of Crash. Well, except for the banging part. Crash would just rest his chin on the arm of my chair until I looked at him.

I don't know what Mr. Simon's deal is, though. I have been feeling a little guilty about taking Angus somewhere all the time, and I always feel like I'm leaving Simon behind. Simon has been in agility classes, but Angus goes to school much more frequently. Well, this session I reversed it - I have Simon signed up for Level 3 (starts tomorrow), and I'm just going to do Rally drop-ins with Angus for a little while. Maybe Simon will be happier if he's got a regular "gig" to attend every week. ??? Or maybe that will just be me who is happier. ??? I don't know!

I've thought about getting yet another crate :, a heavier-duty one like Angus has, and trying again. Gosh, I just hate to go back to two crates. They take up so much space!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    I thought the same :P
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Maybe try a veri-kennel type crate ( I think that's what they are called) more of a travel crate that's enclosed more. I've heard some dogs do much better in that type of crate. Sorry he's being such a pain it almost sounds like some Seperation Anxiety or something.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

cannot say if simon has sep anxiety, but my luke used to have it. we had to use the crate when leaving him alone. the stress of being alone would drive him to do things he would normally never even think about.

i learned that a plastic airline type of crate is best for safety reasons. the one that has been highly recommended is the largest one used for the giant breeds like great danes.

the Vari-Kennel 700 has this type of door:

4 way locking door and it is really big and roomy.
    The locking mechanism makes it very sturdy and the pastic is thick because of its size.

back when luke had his problem i didn't know about the Vari-Kennel 700, so i had to use the regular wire crate. luke did have minor injuries, but he settled down. i think i got lucky. some dogs get so highly stressed that they injure themselves over and over again, trying to get out.

i did have a Vari-Kennel that was one size smaller than the Vari-Kennel 700, which does NOT have the 4 way locking. all the other Vari-Kennels have a 2 way locking. luke would pull on the door until the door popped off the 2 plastic hinges, and he was able to escape and destroy stuff during his time alone due to his stress, so i had to use the wire crate. if i had to do it all over again, i would not hesitate to buy the Vari-Kennel 700.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford