With more darkness, I like these lighted dog collars best
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With more darkness, I like these lighted dog collars best

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultWith more darkness, I like these lighted dog collars best

Several years ago (on a previous JL forum) I posted a review of many lighted dog collars or lights to attach to dog collars.

When sundown gets earlier, as in the winter, it's sometimes hard to see your Lab at night.

I bought and tested several clip-on lights but did not care for any of them.*

Some were very cheaply made and had short life expectancy.* But even the better made clip to the collar lights suffered a fatal flaw -- they were visible only through at best a 180-200 degree range and often not that.* If your Lab's butt is between your eyes and the light -- no see.* Even if the Lab is broadside to you, a turn of the Lab's head can easily obscure your vision of the light.

I think the best (which I did NOT buy and test) would be the harness with lights offered by a company that specializes in equipment for Search and Rescue dogs.* Those are over $100 (US).* They also have a collar at about half that price.

There are also some with attractive advertising that have luminescent + reflective glow strips all around the collar that are activated by a battery as well as car headlights.* These may work fine for some but, to my eyes, they did not have sufficient brightness to be seen at any distance and were so sufficiently dim that the same problem described with the clip-on light often occurred.

The best reasonably priced product that we tried was:

http://www.visipet.com/products.htm

Again, if the Lab is facing away from you there will be some positions in which you will not see the LEDs.* But to MY eyes, the greater intensity of their LEDs gave me more identification than the lower level luminescent/reflective collars.* But maybe your eyes are different.

Disclaimer:* I do not have ANY financial, social, or ANY type of relation with this or any other mfr of dog collars.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: With more darkness, I like these lighted dog collars best

Good post, Bob. I'd like to get one of those collars. I walk Cooper at 0445 hrs and now that's it's dark out at that hour, it's hard to see him when I let him off the leash at one of the fields we cut through. He wears a reflective vest but when there's hardly any light around, it's a bit useless! I carry a small flashlight with me so use it to try to see his vest. Cooper never goes too far anyway - he likes to see what I'm doing, I guess! I like the idea of the LED lights on the collar. May have to get one....!!!!

Bev.

Thank you, Bob! I'm going to order 2 of them. I especially like the warranty on this one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the post!
    Trooper looks like a Christmas tree when we walk. We have two lighted things that go on his collare that blink. Another on is a paw that also blinks. Everyone always stops up to say that they can really see him from a distance. We got them from petedge.com

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Thanks Bob, those are defenitely going on my list of things to buy Especially for Molly, it's so darn hard seeing a black dog at night (lol)
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I've had the worst luck with lighted collars. They dim out after 2-3 uses; the snap breaks; god knows what else goes wrong w/them.

I just paid a potful for ones used by SAR dogs. It hasn't arrived yet -- due any day now -- but I can't wait to get it!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I've always had decent luck with the ones with the battery-operated ravy glow sticks inside them. They are not terribly bright, no, but I don't like Theo to be at much of a distance at night anyway. You just have to remember not to be a moron like me and leave them on all night and the following day.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Morning all, I have to chime in on this issue, since like a black lab, chocolates are equally as difficult to see in the dark. Lexi and I are out and on the road by 5:30 am each day.

I've tried several light products for her with little success, batteries run out, not bright enough, etc. What I have started using is not a lit collar or any type of clip on light, but a jacket.

Yes, I said a jacket. I know, I know... labs don't need jackets, but the Lands End Pet Squall jackets have reflective trim & a large reflective strip in the middle. I don't leave her off leash so being able to keep tabs on her loose is not an issue. I need her to be seen when cars are coming up & this jacket works awesome.

In fact, as we were finishing up our walk on Monday AM, a local township police officer came up the street from behind us. When he got next to me, he slowed down to tell me "That vest of hers works great, I could see her from the other end of the block." Obviously he could not see it was a dog, but when his head lights hit the reflective trim/stripe, he knew something was up there moving around.

I am exceptionally happy knowing that it really does help out.

Land's End is now making the same jacket with LED lights in it, which you can set to steady on, blink on or off. It is a bit pricey though, so I am not sure I will be getting one.

Deb

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Our Everything for a Dollar store carries a small clip on light.* I've had the same one for several years.* It has several settings, steady light, blinking slow, blinking fast.* For a dollar, I can't complain.* Picture is of Candy.

Brookville, Pa.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the post. I need to get lighted gear for my two and I hate going through the research and development phase. I will feel much more comfortable with are O'dark thirty outings if the girls were visible.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast