to remove the dewclaws or not to remove?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to remove the dewclaws or not to remove?

Defaultto remove the dewclaws or not to remove?

I have 2 chocolate labs and often wondered wheather or not removing the dewclaw is a good choice.
    I've noticed very little to no difference in speed,agility,etc in other people's dogs who had them removed.
    Does it harm them in snow if they are outside? Mine are outside 75% of the time. They love it outside(unless its dinner time).
    They have 3500 acres to themselfs(I'm a farmer) and are very loved by my 5 year old. Will the dewclaw being gone make it tougher
    on the dog since they're naturally there for a reason or is it actually best to remove them.
    I can understand most of you disagree with having outside dogs,but again we're out in the country and they come in as they please.
    Would prefer someone OUTSIDE of any city limits to respond, Or someone with working Knowledge of hunting dogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: to remove the dewclaws or not to remove?

IMO, dewclaws are best removed. If left untrimmed, the claw can actually grow back into the skin. Also, because of it's placement it is prone to catch on something, and could possibly tear off.

Having said that, if your dog's dewclaws are still present, it is truly no big deal. I know loads of dogs who still retain their dewclaws and haven't suffered any problems.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Kathryn Guest

To answer your question about the dew claws they are now a digit and removing it would cause pain that isnt needed. IF they are going to be removed they should be done before 5 days of age. The only time I have heard of ones being removed is because it got ripped really bad from falling off a camper stairs or its nail grew into the leg. Mud my uncles dog hunted every season and NEVER had any trouble till he ripped it falling off the stairs.
    It dosnt matter if you live IN the city or outside of the city.. I can be honest with you Id rather have my dogs out free in my yard IN the city than when I am at any one of my familys places outside of the city. (not that I would leave my dogs out anyway)
    Here we have way to much wild life that would love to eat lose or chained dogs left out. Not to long ago here some people were told to chain their dog because it was going to someone elses land and they didnt want it over there. they chained it and less than 24 hours after Metro Animal Control came and told them to chain the dog had been killed and ate by a mountain lion. At my grandfathers cabin we dont let the dogs go where we cant see them(with us out there watching) because we have bears who like to eat animals.
    We have a-holes who go around just shooting at anything that moves here and Id be scared that they would shoot my girls. I love my girls and would like to keep them for as long as I can.
    It is your choice to leave your dogs outside but whats the point?
    If they get hurt and u dont see it and cant find them then what??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks anne! I've been debating very hard on it. I wish no harm on my 5 month old but at the same time wish to see him be all he can
    be. And the question By mother catherine= No predators here, GPS MICROCHIP. Never lost a dog before. Had to hunt one down with a tracker but found with a girlfriend in the nearby woods. Unless Deere are are going to eat my dog.
    On another note I believe it does matter wheather or not you live in city limits. It matters more than anything,because the country life.
    and the city life are 2 totally different places. Of course I'd have my dogs inside in the city, someone would steal them. Maybe a dozen cars comute down my road. I have a long drive, I live on the corner. People must slow down. Hence no roadkill. You'll notice a country
    dog will have a much different attitude. Unless its your dog your refering to you don't know how it hunts. I let a few hunters hunt my land once a year. Some of them bring dogs. I have established that there is a big differece.

Is there any other reason other than pain not to remove the dewclaw?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    Thanks anne! I've been debating very hard on it. I wish no harm on my 5 month old but at the same time wish to see him be all he can
    be. And the question By mother catherine= No predators here, GPS MICROCHIP. Never lost a dog before. Had to hunt one down with a tracker but found with a girlfriend in the nearby woods. Unless Deere are are going to eat my dog.
    I personnally hope you spay or neuter your dogs if you are letting them have that much freedom
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    Is there any other reason other than pain not to remove the dewclaw?
    Removing them is a choice.

Kathryn Guest

You say your dog has GSP microchip. Id like to know more info on this. I have never heard of microchips having GSP. Could you post some information or send it to me in PM?

I apologize. I should be more specific. We have incorporated GPS into all of our tractors on the farm. We are resellers and installers
    /repair people for outback guidaince systems. I have installed the reciever/transmitter, and a button cell baterry into their collars. I'm a
    bit of a tech nerd in the winter when not farming. Sounds bulky but the wires are inside the collar, kindof braided more like it. Nonetheless, They cannot be seen or ripped of. No body ever notices it. I use the guidaince software on my computer. Just as I can see where every tractor or truck or ATV is. I can also see my dogs. ;D. I wish someone would put a product on the market like this.
    Still collars could be lost and batteries last about 1 month(probably longer but I haven't let them go that long. ???It sounds harder than
    it really is to track a dog. There are many products you can purchase , disassemble ,wrap in electrical tape and incorperate into a collar.
    Bounty hunters use gps tracking bugs on vehichles, motorcycles and such and can be purchased for about 350-500 dollars.They are about the size of a silver dollar. Granted that's the price of a dog but then again , its a family member were talking about. I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks for every body's input. I hope to hear from you again.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

if the dewclaw is kept trimmed and is tight to the skin, there is less likelihood of it getting snagged and torn.

Dogs (whether city or country ) do use their dewclaws as 'thumbs' of sorts. At 5 months, this is going to be significant surgery to have them removed anyway, so just make sure to keep them trimmed.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If your dog has the dewclaws now, leave them. They should be removed when they are first born. To do so now would be more painful for the dog.

I have one dog with dewclaws and one without. I personally prefer them to HAVE the dewclaws. I can see by how my dogs handle their toys, bones, etc.. that the one without the dewclaws is really at a disadvantage. He cannot grasp and hold the way the other dog can.

My vote is to keep the dewclaws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast