Spanking

View Poll Results: Who here has ever spanked their lab (even one time)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 62.50%
  • No

24 37.50%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spanking

DefaultSpanking

Come on be truthfull. It is definetly not the norm for me but even I get overly frustrated and I can probably put it on maybe 5 or 6 times total. It is something that I regret everytime I do it but it does happen. I think one time I took her off leash and she ran for about a mile a mile and a half with me chasing behind her and I was so scared that I was going to lose her or that something was going to happen to her that I spanked her on her fore legs a couple of times. If you feel like bashing me go right ahead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Spanking

Not sure if I could call it a spanking or not. I have popped them slightly in the nose when they are not taking a treat "easy" and popped them on the butt if they wouldnt get "off" from humping the other one. I think the problem with you "spanking" her after she ran away is she will associate coming back to you as bad. I dont care if either of the dogs run away or how far they run too, when they come back to me, they get praise. I want coming to me to be a good thing. You should "spank" when you need them to do something in the future.

So you took your dog off leash, she ran away, you chased and when you caught up with her you hit her?? What exactly do you think that taught her? :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm not going to bash you.

but please think about this...

If you temporary lose her.. and then you find her and the first thing you do is hit her or talk to her harshly (or whatever)... what do you think she associates that with? The getting away from you or being back with you.

No matter how angry/scared/flipped out I am... I believe it is important to make coming back to me ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS 100% positive experience. Even if Ender just grabbed a dead decaying fish that I told him to leave it.... as long as he comes to me when asked he will get a treat and lots of loves... even if in a happy sing song voice I'm saying "UGG I can't believe you did that it is so nasty you better listen to me next time or I'll take away your dinner you crazy pup!" He just looks up at me like "I know you love me"
    ~Lindsay

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Yup, I'll admit it. Frankie got a swat on the ass when Daddy caught him riiiiiiiiiiiiipping the hot tub cover. I smacked him in the ass once, I forget why. It certainly wasn't hard, more or less a tap. Frankie has also gotten a good grab-by-the-scruff-of-the-neck when I caught him riiiiiiiiiiipping the hot tub cover and a deep growl from me.

Tucker on the other hand, is an angel

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I've raised my voice...even cursed once or twice, but never put my hands on them in an aggressive way. Coming to me when called has to always be ok, safe and positive.

hold on. I never spanked her for coming to me and when I say spanked I have never hit her hard. She comes back to me when her attention is not directed else where (biker, cats, rabbits, runners) I caught up to her but I would never spank her for coming back to me. She comes when calls really good now. I haven't tried it off leash at a huge park like I did before but I have tried it at a small dog park and she runs back to me just fine. The incident happened...I would say... around 6 months old.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I think one time I took her off leash and she ran for about a mile a mile and a half with me chasing behind her and I was so scared that I was going to lose her or that something was going to happen to her that I spanked her on her fore legs a couple of times.
    So you spanked her when you caught up to her? So that means "next time run faster longer so he can't catch me and spank me"

Why don't you define the term "spank"... to me spanking causes pain... like a feeling of tiny pins for a second or two after impact. That's the force to which my momma spanked me as a child so that is how I define it.
    ~Lindsay

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I believe it is important to make coming back to me ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS 100% positive experience. Even if Ender just grabbed a dead decaying fish that I told him to leave it.... as long as he comes to me when asked he will get a treat and lots of loves... even if in a happy sing song voice I'm saying "UGG I can't believe you did that it is so nasty you better listen to me next time or I'll take away your dinner you crazy pup!" He just looks up at me like "I know you love me"
    I am a firm believer in everything above

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I "whooped" Zoe on the butt twice. Not hard, just enough to get her attention.

1st time was when we were at a beach house. She jumped down a 5' wall to get into the ocean.

2nd time was when she saw a cat in the parking lot of the Humane Society and she took off after it. I dropped her lead b/c I did not want to get pulled down.

Both times, after her "whoop" she looked up at me and wagged her tail like what she did was the best thing ever and was worth the whoop. :
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast