Exercising your lab (a question from puppy training section)

View Poll Results: How much time do you spend exercising your lab per day on average? (not including walks)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • None-walks are all they get

2 4.26%
  • 15 min

4 8.51%
  • 30 min

7 14.89%
  • 45 min

11 23.40%
  • 1 hr or more

23 48.94%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercising your lab (a question from puppy training section)

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultExercising your lab (a question from puppy training section)

Exercise meaning: swimming, dog park, retrieving, running off leash

We all know a tired lab is a good lab. In answering Zoey'sDad's question in Puppy training regarding misbehavior and linking it to getting the proper exercise... he felt I was the exception that I take Ender to a park DAILY to do retrieves.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,22662.0.html

This poll is meant to represent the average... not including those special occasions where your dog was in doggy day care, or is recovering from an injury or any other special circumstance that would prevent him/her from normal activity.

Please feel free to add additional comments.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Exercising your lab (a question from puppy training section)

I have followed that thread and again, you are definitely not the exception.

Typically me and my dogs go out for 1 1/2 - 2 hours every day, rain or shine, no matter how tired or crappy I am feeling. We go out twice a day in the morning and afternoons. They are free to run off leash, play and explore. I usually bring a few training dummies and do a couple of retrieves. They run around so much I figure they easily triple the distance I walk. They are very satisfied with this amount and it keeps them happy.

If I don't spend at least an hour and oftern more with the dogs, I get no peace. The morning routine is:
    Get up
    Feed the dogs
    Play with the dogs ~1/2 hour
    Walk the dogs another ~hour
    Play with dogs ~1/2 hour
    Put dogs in kennel and go for a nap myself

Play=out to park and fetch, chase around house inside /outside, training, fetching in the house (one fetches the other 2 chase the one who fetched). Right now as I am writting this I have 3 sleeping dogs (pup included).

We will do this again before supper. This does not include the playing around they do with my 3 sons.

WHO said only 1 hour?????????
    Pat

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

It's a little hard to answer. Theo gets two off-leash walks a day of about 30 minutes each. During that time he gets to retrieve, swim, play, etc. We also do obedience, but not every day (because I'm lazy). If he doesn't get a walk, he gets a trip to the dog park. We can get away with just a leash walk for one of them, but if he gets only a leash walk for more than a day or two, he gets restless. He's 3 and loves to work.

I voted an hour or more, but Fergus is currently recovering from cruciate surgery so is only getting an hour leash walk a day and two 30 minute swimming sessions a week. Pre injury he got a minium of an hour off leash running, fetching ect...of exercise a day. Rain or shine Fergus goes out for exercise everyday!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    It's a little hard to answer. Theo gets two off-leash walks a day of about 30 minutes each. During that time he gets to retrieve, swim, play, etc. We also do obedience, but not every day (because I'm lazy). If he doesn't get a walk, he gets a trip to the dog park. We can get away with just a leash walk for one of them, but if he gets only a leash walk for more than a day or two, he gets restless. He's 3 and loves to work.
    Yeah I was trying to go for an average.
    ~Lindsay

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

For me I would say about an hour of playtime with me a day. Sometimes it is broken down to 2 - 30 min sessions or 3 - 20 min sessions.
    They absolutely love the Chuck-It ball launcher.

Other than that they pretty much play with each other when I am off busy doing my own thing. Or they are under my feet!
    Kim

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I voted 45 minutes. She gets about 20 minutes of running after her piggies in the house, then we play "chicken" outside for another 20 minutes or so. Sometimes less.

She would be good w/30 minutes. Zoe also gets a short 25 minute walk in the a.m. before work.

On weekends, however, we spend about 1-1/2 hours at the beach. She could spend all day there if I let her. On beach days, this is the only exercise she gets, as she is pretty much settled the rest of the day and night.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I really never put a stop watch to it. I guess between walking (on and off leash), the "chuck it", and our litlle ball games in the yard it is more than an hour. We have days that they will play together (keep away) for hours. I was raking leaves this Saturday and they were running hard for at least an hour.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I can't really answer the question, either. EVERY SINGLE DAY, Wesley and I go out with him on the Flexi. So is that a walk or is that exercise. He walks, he runs, he 'niffs, he pees, he poops. The morning walk is no shorter than 45 mins. The after-dinner one is anywhere from 15 mins to 45 mins, depending on what else is going on.

Aside from that, we go to dog class once a week, where he spends 3 hrs being a demo dog and then participating in two other classes -- running rally courses, doodling, etc.

Swimming? Maybe once a month or so because it's so far away and inconvenient.

Retrieving? Sad to say, but Wesley has like 0 play-drive. He'll look at a toy or a bumper thrown in the yard and then look up at me blankly as if to say, "Hmmph. Wow, dad. You're going to have quite the walk bringing THAT thing back."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast