Free Greenies

Thread: Free Greenies

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFree Greenies

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mocha Guest

DefaultRe: Free Greenies

thanks from Maggie ;D

I've seen several reports that greenies are really bad for dogs! Check these out:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1631267

http://www.dogster.com/forums/thread.php?t=287246

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I'm going to have to vote "No" on the free Greenies...

When Angus was about nine months old, I thought I would get him a Greenie (actually, it was a Nutri-Dent bone, but for all practical purposes, exact same thing). I thought this would help keep his teeth clean and bright, and would be something he could do for a few minutes that would keep him out of trouble and entertained.

I'll spare you the long story and just say that following his very first Greenie was surgery, approximately 48 hours later. He had an intestinal blockage, and we might have lost him had I not gotten him in when I did. :'( The surgery was expensive and it was unbelievably difficult to keep a nine month old Lab quiet for ten days afterward. Not to mention that the whole experience scared the living daylights out of me.

He will never get another Nutri-Dent, Greenie, or anything even remotely similar.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

From the first article:

The manufacturer, S & M NuTec, did not address the litigation but told ABC News that Greenies were safe and more digestible than the average dry dog food.
    HA! HAHA! HAHAHAHA!

Oohhhhh, those jacka$$es!* >

I invite anyone and everyone to try the little experiment I conducted after our blockage. Yes, the packaging does indeed say that they are "highly digestible." So I tried placing a Greenie in a glass of water, to see how long it would take it to break down. I also included in the experiment three varities of Nylabone Healthy Edibles, as these were another favorite of Angus'.

Granted, a glass of water is not as acidic as stomach acid, but I did not have any stomach acid handy. I just wanted to see how long these things would take to dissolve.

A day went by. Nothing.

Two days. Still completely intact.

Three days. Waiting, waiting.

I don't know how long I let those glasses sit there. Almost a week, I believe, before I just got tired of looking at them and threw them out. They were completely submerged in water for the entirety. And not one even lost its shape. When I removed them, they didn't fall to pieces as you might expect. No, they were still hard as could be, except for the outer coating, which had become a bit mushy and taken on a consistency similar to glue.

Yeah. They're "highly digestible." Sure. Just like dog food. :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever