This is Driving me Nuts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is Driving me Nuts

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis is Driving me Nuts

Tal will go to the door and make his noise or jump up on the door when he wants to go potty. Ok..that's good. But yesterday was especially bad when i would take him out he would not go. He just wanted to mosy around. This was especially annoying at 12:30 am this morning. I will see he does't want to potty then bring him back in. Once I tried to ignore it and he wee'd on the kitchen floor.

I don't mind at all taking him out anytime he needs to go..but these false alarms are driving me crazy. It's not like I never take him outside either. We go out..play catch...walk..train...all kinds of stuff...

I am open for suggestion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: This is Driving me Nuts

good luck with nice suggestions on this one. I got alot of rude answers to my questions. VERY cute puppy.

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beej
    good luck with nice suggestions on this one.* I got alot of rude answers to my questions.* VERY cute puppy.
    We like tals dad!

Id say to give a treat when Tal pottys outside if you arnt already. its hard work Dakota took a LONG time to potty train!
    Give Tal a big hug for us all!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

when you go out at 12:30 am... it's no-nonsense right? You just stand there not paying any attention... wait a bit... if he doesn't go bring him inside. He will soon learn that getting daddy up at 12:30 in the morning isn't going to get him any love or play time... or really ANY attention.
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    Quote Originally Posted by Beej
    good luck with nice suggestions on this one.* I got alot of rude answers to my questions.* VERY cute puppy.
    We like tals dad!

Id say to give a treat when Tal pottys outside if you arnt already.* its hard work Dakota took a LONG time to potty train!
    Give Tal a big hug for us all!
    I don't think the problem is w/ potty training. I think he's saying Tal has discovered a love of the great outdoors. (Please correct me if I'm off base). Sami likes to ring the bell to go outside and sit, lay in the sun, whatever. She's especially fond of doing that now as the weather is so great. I'm not sure how to correct this. I would find it annoying at midnight too.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck played that game. I always took him out and gave him the cue and if he didn't do his business in 5 mins (also I'd take him out on his leash and stand in one spot). I'd bring him back inside and put him in his crate for about 10-15 mins. Take him back outside and if he did his business..he'd get a treat and praise. If he didn't. Well I'd just bring him inside and do some training or whatever and it's outside time again.

He eventually caught on that ringing the bell means he gets to go outside to eliminate not play. Not saying that he still doesn't like to trick me. Atleast now I can leave him outside alone and watch him through the window (doesn't try to eat mulch and rocks anymore THANK GOD) . If I am not out there with him he just sniffs for a min then sits on the porch to be let in.

Good luck!

Oh...if he is doing it when he's supposed to be sleeping...which buck tried as well. I used to just take him out on his leash stand in one spot give him the cue and if he didnt do his business then it was straight back to bed. This he tried only a couple times and he got the hint.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    I don't think the problem is w/ potty training.* I think he's saying Tal has discovered a love of the great outdoors.*
    This is along the lines of what Brigetta will do. When she wants to play with the ball, sees a bird or squirrel, or just wants to go out, she'll ring the bell. Now I will either ignore it all together or say lay down. There has been an occasion or two where she really did have to go and I felt bad. But basically she knew ringing the bell meant going out. I just made sure that when she did ring the bell to go out that all I let her do was go to the bathroom and come right back in. Believe me, I know how annoying it is! Once Brigetta rang the bell at 4am...I stumbled to the door and put her collar on and then when we got outside I looked down at her and there she was...looking up at me with a ball in her mouth! I'm interested to see how others deal with it too. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

We have a big fenced in yard with lots of great spots to explore. I have been dealing with this ring a bell bit to go chew a stick that she found the last time by giving Tally a treat if she comes in right after the potty business. If I have to chase her around the yard, (I don't make it a game, believe me) she doesn't get one. I try to make it much more advantageous to come back in the house right away rather than stay outside. However, this doesn't always work and I don't always have the time to go out and make sure she doesn't get into TROUBLE.

The only disadvantage is that when Tally goes out and comes back in right away, the other 2 dogs that have not even bothered to lift their heads to see what is going on, miraculously appear and wait for their treat as well.

As for the middle of the night calls (there aren't too many any more) I put her on a short teather that lets her get to the grass, but that's all. Then right back in the kennel, no fussing no licks, just "back to bed".

Are you still up at 12:30 doing work? What time does Tall usually konk out? Maybe he really needs to go, and since you're still up why not play?

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    when you go out at 12:30 am... it's no-nonsense right?* You just stand there not paying any attention... wait a bit... if he doesn't go bring him inside.* He will soon learn that getting daddy up at 12:30 in the morning isn't going to get him any love or play time... or really ANY attention.
    Yup...and he has, up until last night, been really good about doing his business, and going back in. He knows night time is for sleeping. Plus he goes in the same spot...better at this time actually than other times of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischasmom
    We have a big fenced in yard with lots of great spots to explore.* I have been dealing with this ring a bell bit to go chew a stick that she found the last time by giving Tally a treat if she comes in right after the potty business. If I have to chase her around the yard, (I don't make it a game, believe me) she doesn't get one. I try to make it much more advantageous to come back in the house right away rather than stay outside. However, this doesn't always work and I don't always have the time to go out and make sure she doesn't get into TROUBLE.

The only disadvantage is that when Tally goes out and comes back in right away, the other 2 dogs that have not even bothered to lift their heads to see what is going on, miraculously appear and wait for their treat as well.

As for the middle of the night calls (there aren't too many any more) I put her on a short teather that lets her get to the grass, but that's all. Then right back in the kennel, no fussing no licks, just "back to bed".*

Are you still up at 12:30 doing work?* What time does Tall usually konk out?* Maybe he really needs to go, and since you're still up why not play?
    Not up at that hour....when he has needed to go out in the middle of the night it has been legit. And when he did not go last night I brought him back in then he whines like he does when he needs to go. He was in his crate and I let him whine and bark for a bit. Then I got up took him out and he did his business. We came back in and all was well. This morning tho he went when he said he needed to! So who knows.

Something Sharon (wigwag) said the other day and a post here I bet is the thing. Since he is older and doesn't really get into much he shouldn't, I leave him out of his crate while I am home unless it's like for mopping the floor or I need a shower. We also spend more time outdoors. So since he has more freedom and also loves the outdoors he probably just wants to go outside. I play with him out there alot plus do slot of training, weather permitting.

I definitely don't think he is being defiant or anything. Pushing the limits maybe...but not defiant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast