Nail Question

Thread: Nail Question

Kate is offline Senior Member

DefaultNail Question

I was looking at Misty's feet last night and a couple of nails on her one foot are white and look like the black was worn off. Anyone seen this and do I have anything to worry about?
    Aren't we comfortable!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nail Question

Does it look like she has been dragging the foot? Wearing of the nails can be good indicator of other issues going on.

Not that foot, that is hergood foot (I adopted her from a shelter and they said she had had a broken leg that hadn't healed correctly and that foot she does sort of hold up or under because the leg is shorter but those nails look okay).

Should I get her into the vet?
    Aren't we comfortable!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'd just mention it to the vet the next time you are in unless you think it looks like an infection or something else serious. It's very difficult to diagnose anything over the internet so you should always go with your gut feeling. If you are worried, take her to a vet for piece of mind if nothing else.

IMO if it looks like she is scrapping off the black part of the nail then I'd just wait until the next vet visit. The fact that it is her "good" foot makes me believe that it is scrapping the ground as she hops because she's holding up the bad foot and the "good" foot isn't getting enough clearance as she moves the paw forward.

No it doesn't look infected, more like the black was sanded off or how our's look when they peel, kind of rough, not smooth. She let's me touch them with no problem. I'll just keep close watch and if they get worse I'll take her in sooner than her next scheduled visit. We do play fetch in the driveway at night so maybe she is just hitting them. Thanks for your help, I've just never seen this with any of my other dogs.
    Aren't we comfortable!