Just Labradors banner

Dew claws??

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Beaus Pete 
#1 ·
Does any one agree with getting a dogs dew claws removed. My husband wants to train Woody to hunt. The vet says it helps to get them removed if you want to hunt. I am having serious issues with this. Please help...

#2 ·
I would have had my boys dew claws removed if I had them as puppies. They get them caught on so many things it is much safer in my opinion to have them removed. Just think about if they get it caught on something and it gets ripped partial out. I would never want to put my labs in that kind of pain ever. I have to put tape on my boys dew claws when they swim at the lake. You just never know what is out there. you can't tape a hunting dog cause it has an odor and the animals will see it on your lab.

I say Yes just to avoid injury.

good luck with this discission.

#8 ·
Code:
after 3-5 days it starts to become like an extra finger and attaches to the bone.
Eek! If that's the case, I say leave it! Do you keep them trimmed?

G
#9 ·
jzgrlduff said:
Code:
after 3-5 days it starts to become like an extra finger and attaches to the bone.
Eek!  If that's the case, I say leave it!  Do you keep them trimmed? 
Yes you trim them just like the other nails (unless you are like Dakota and then you only trim them when she is on "rest" because shes sick)
If you don't trim it the nail will grow right into the leg and then you have a big prob. on your hands!

#10 ·
I think its supposed to be done when in the 3 - 5 day range only. Both of my boys have them and we have been hunting for years with them without any problems to their dew claws. (The worse thing to happen so far was a bloody nose becase Kody was more focused on flushing the pheasant then the sapling directly in front of him.)

#11 ·
I have to agreee with the PP's, only when they are between 3-5 days old. After that is is too painful for them. Sadie had hers removed at 3 days old as the breeder knew that 2 out of the 4 were gonna be hunting dogs for sure.

#12 ·
If they have to be removed they have to be removed as pups. No reputable vet will remove dewclaws from an adult dog.

Personally, I think it is unnecessary surgery. Yes dewclaws can get ripped and broken but so can just about any part of a dogs body. On that logic we should remove all a dogs limbs to potentally avoid injury. Other extremity's such as the tail are more likely to get injured than a tiny dew claw.

If you are careful and take all the necessary procautions it should never be an issue. My fathers side of the family have had hunting dogs for generations and as far as I am aware have never experienced serious injury to life or limb. My current two Labs who are both used as gundogs have never been injured while working.

#17 ·
Thanks to all who have shared info with me on this subject. I have heard that you HAVE to remove them if you want them to hunt. We really don't want him to go through that kind of pain.

G
#18 ·
There is no need to worry about it. For hundreds of years dogs have had dew claws and I have only heard of 2 dogs who had them removed as older dogs. My uncles dog who had one ripped pretty bad and Joe next door whos nail grew into his back leg.
I wouldnt worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.